• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vantec StingRay STG-100 - Opinions?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Seven7Thirty30

I know nothing of water cooling kits. I have been thinking about buying a kit for the first time. What do you (water cooling veterans) think about the Vantec STG-100? I'm looking for an all-in-one kit. I probably won't use the North/South bridge water blocks. My rig is in my sig below. I'm just looking for a good first time experience with good temps and low noise at a good price. $200 is my maximum. Thanks in advance.

Vantec STG-100 Review

well if it wasnt a mix between aluminum and copper i would call it a passable beginer kit that your mom could buy as a present and you wouldnt be angry ( disappointed maybe)

It seems kinda expensive, and the pump looks weak. If you can and are confident enough in yourself, I'd just buy the part individually, would probably save you some money and would preform better.

A system that is over 1/2 aluminum would make me way too nervous. I'm a proponent of buying individual parts and making your own setup, but if you really need a kit, I'd go with a Swiftech one (half the parts in the kit would end up in your setup anyway:p)

I've been looking around and $200 seems to be a good price to pay. It would take me awhile to buy each part separately since the total would be more than $200.

Why would an aluminum cover matter? As long as the base is copper...that's all that's important, right? Some of the Danger Den water blocks have acrylic covers.

Seven7Thirty30 said:
Why would an aluminum cover matter? As long as the base is copper...that's all that's important, right? Some of the Danger Den water blocks have acrylic covers.
Multiple metals=bad. That can cause corrosion. It's best to stick to one metal if at all possible.

That's assuming that I used tap water (which I wouldn't). How often does corrosion occur within a responsible person's system. There are plenty of additives that prevent that from happening.

Seven7Thirty30 said:
That's assuming that I used tap water (which I wouldn't). How often does corrosion occur within a responsible person's system. There are plenty of additives that prevent that from happening.

You are correct that corrosion does not happen on every system, but mixing metals can and will increase that risk. Moreover, its also in your best interests to heed the advice of those with more experience than yourself.

I will second the notion of the Swiftech kit - these are very much regarded as the only kits that people should consider.

deception``

theres alot of pros and cons about this system but it all depends on you if your devoted to getting the max performance or if its just something to show of to your friends

Pros :
*says the radiator is 5.2 cm thick (thats pretty damn thick) probably outperform other single 120mmf radiators
*everything comes together
*quiet
*says the pump is 700 l per hour(isnt that near 200 gph) that decent but could be better

Cons :
*waterblocks look like junk
*cr@p fan on the radiator
*alot of the stuff is outside the case
*chances of you waking up and walking into the rez almost quadruples

id make my own it will lead to better performan and im sure you can get it as cheap

hit me up on aimizzle if you got any more questions

Seven7Thirty30 said:
Actually, there is nothing that will 100% prevent it. Inhibitors will slow the process, but not stop it.

OkydOky said:
I'd stay away from a kit..

Danger Den D5 Pump - $75
DangerDen Black Ice pro II radiator - $36
DangerDen Maze4 GPU block - $47
Swifttech Apogee CPU block - $50
10 Feet of Masterkleer Tubing 7/16" ID, 5/8" OD Part number 5233K44 at mcmaster - $5
t-Line - $2
2 120mm Fans - $10

Totals to 225

So if you can spend a little more, this will do far better than that kit.

But if you absolutelly have to go with a kit, only consider a swifttech one..

Thanks for the input. Any chance anyone knows the dimensions of the pump?

So what do we have here? Hydor L20 (? Is that right thorilan?) and some fin blocks with tops turned air-heatsinks Do they really think the top serves a purpose in dissipating anything remotely measurable? (watse of mill-time)
The rad and fan look like nothing special.
I would say that "good" temps and low noise are two words that will never both be part of a KIT's description. Swiftech kirts are the closest you can get to a good kit. I would recommend nothing less if your not willing to go DIY and are looking for a kit. (though I am not claiming to have seen them all so keep that in mind.)

5|*42 said:
and the pump looks weak.

It uses a Hydror L25 I believe. Not a bad pump overall but its no MCP655 of course ;).

5|*42 said:
If you can and are confident enough in yourself, I'd just buy the part individually, would probably save you some money and would preform better.

Amen. You could build a system thats better than that for ~$50 if you purchase economy parts & find some good deals. Thats what i did for my first system & it was pretty darn good :D.

Back