• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

question about bleeding and filling a system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Aidenswarrior

question about bleeding and filling a system: Powering a Pump

I have a Danger Den DD12V-D5, aka the swiftech 655, Pump and i was wondering is there anyway to power this thing without having to turn on my computer, so i can fill my water cooling system without the risk of leakage and components breaking?

Last edited:
I'm doing it right now. I'm not sure if the color codes for the different PSU's are the same, but on my OCZ Powerstream 520-SLI you jumper the green wire and a black ground- on my PSU there is a ground right next to the green. On the side of the connector that has the clip, the green wire is the 4th one over from the left. If yours is the same, I would say that is also your wire to jumper.

Actually, the pinouts for all ATX mobo's would have to be the same for obvious reasons. So, just jumper the 4th wire from the left on the side with the clip and the ground wire that will be in the 5th pin. You should then be able to power-up your PSU.

Good luck, and here's to NO LEAKS!!! :cool:

Everyone who watercools/mods should have an old AT spec PSU.
They have their own power switch and don't require any jumpering ( which, admittedly, is dead easy to do).
Local PC repair shops probably have them laying around and would either just give you one or charge a nominal fee.

The newegg one would work. You'd have to jump it, but that's easy. Plus since it's newegg you'll get the rebate back (and shipping is free so it would be completely free then).

AT_Power_Supply.jpg

Note the integrated switch on the far right of the loom.

Any PSU will work and there's no point in spending too much money on a supply that will only need to power the occasional fan or pump.

Aidenswarrior said:
http://www.hardwaremods.com/guides/psu_jump/psu_jumping.html

it says that you can only leave the powersupply on for a second when doing this. is that true? or do you just jump it and then take the wire out? cause i do not want to blow up my $100 powersupply

That says to only power it for a second or two without a load. Since the pump will be on, that is a load. Mine has been running with the jumper since Saturday with no problems.

I am with everyone else on the using a spare PSU idea. Take clocker2's idea of going to a local repair shop and getting a cheap PSU. You can probably get one for $10. Even if it is an ATX PSU, you can still jumper the motherboard connector and run it that way. I do this when I leaktest my system or test out fans, etc.

Back