• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

You guys have GOT to see this!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DragonTattooz

Well, being the type of person that I am, I bought the DD MCT-5 coolant for my system because of the non-conductive properties. I figure it's cheap insurance. So, I thought I recognized the smell when I opened it, and bigger 'n sh*t, I found out that it's Fluorinert when I Googled the MSDS for MCT-5. Fluorinert is a common coolant used in semiconductor fabs, and it is an excellent product.

So, I was doing some reading and it seems that there are some people who are a little skeptical about its non-conductive properties. Well, check this out. If that doesn't convince you, nothing will.

Enjoy. :cool:

Yeah I'v heard of the stuff for years...so you went ahead and bought some? Jeez that stuff is pricey. Good for you but I just balk at that crap as I'm a cheap bas*ard.

DragonTattooz said:
Well, being the type of person that I am, I bought the DD MCT-5 coolant for my system because of the non-conductive properties. I figure it's cheap insurance. So, I thought I recognized the smell when I opened it, and bigger 'n sh*t, I found out that it's Fluorinert when I Googled the MSDS for MCT-5. Fluorinert is a common coolant used in semiconductor fabs, and it is an excellent product.

So, I was doing some reading and it seems that there are some people who are a little skeptical about its non-conductive properties. Well, check this out. If that doesn't convince you, nothing will.

Enjoy. :cool:

Um, I dont think it is flourinert, probably something similar to fluid XP.

http://www.overclockers.com/articles1028/

http://www.fluidxp.com/index.php?op=modload&name=FAQ&file=index&myfaq=yes&id_cat=1#1

this is the info for mct

Code:
Ingredients:
Ethylene Glycol
Sodium Nitrate: oxidizer; toxic (by ingestion); irritant; potential blood toxin
Boric Acid Sodium Salt Tetrahydrate: Potential irritant (eyes and respiratory)
2-Mercaptobenzothiaxole: irritant; potential sensitizer
Di Isopropyl Alcohol Ether
Tri Isopropyl Alcohol DiEther
Sodium Molybdate
Tolyitriazole
Polysiloxane Polymer
1-Hydroxyethylidene-1
1-diphosphonic Acid

Independent lab tests have shown that MCT, has what is considered by meaurement of conductivity a level which is considered VERY CONDUCTIVE, the sample tested was MCT 40 and had a tested level of 13,600 microsiemens (the spec of how labs test for non-conductivity) and so much ethylene glycol (used in automotive antifreeze) that it had to be greatly diluted, just to perform the test. This document can be obtained upon request. There has been to our knowledge no other tests that have shown to dispute this fact.

Well, it would appear that I just got owned, and my smartass remark just makes the sting that much worse. So, you were right and I was wrong- those words become real easy to say after 17 years of marriage. That's what I get for believing something that I read on the Interweb. :bang head We'll call it a lesson learned and move on... ;)

But, MCT-5 doesn't smell anything like ethylene glycol. Glycol smells sweet, MCT-5 smells like dead fish.

DragonTattooz said:
Well, it would appear that I just got owned, and my smartass remark just makes the sting that much worse. So, you were right and I was wrong- those words become real easy to say after 17 years of marriage. That's what I get for believing something that I read on the Interweb. :bang head We'll call it a lesson learned and move on... ;)

But, MCT-5 doesn't smell anything like ethylene glycol. Glycol smells sweet, MCT-5 smells like dead fish.

its more toxic than a dead fish ;)

Back