• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

n00b with Water Cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SegaDream

Registered
Im planning to make the move to watercooling here realy soon but I really dot know too much about it and had a few questions to ask. First off, im not really too keen on buying my own parts to make a DIY setup because im worried about leaks and the fact that I will make a mistake.

1. Does anyone know anything about the Koolance Aquian ICM-510+CPU and how it performs?

2. How often would I have to refill the unit?

3. Im a big lan gamer and take my PC around with me alot all over the place, is there any risk of things leaking while transporting the computer? IE, placing the case on its side...? o.o

If you use hose clamps, you shouldn't have to worry about leaks. I put my first watercooling system together a month or so ago, and never had a single leak, even during leak testing. If you take your time and do it right, you won't have any problems.

As far as the Aquian ICM-510+CPU goes, for that much money, I think you will be disappointed with the performance.

You shouldn't need to refill if you did things right the first time. ie: no leaks, no corrosion or algae growth, the right ratio of antifreeze and distilled.

Again, I've never had leak problems, but maybe someone else would be better suited to answer this one.

And :welcome: to the forums

building your own system would be much cheaper and you would have the same chance of "screwing up" with a kit or not. Water does have to be replaced when things start to grow in it. this depends on how clean your system was to start with. This can range from one month to several. When choosing a creating a water cooling system, i.e. choosing your parts, set a budget. There are different setups for all different types of budgets. Some people build systems for under $100 and some people build systems that are over $500.

SegaDream said:
Wheres a good place to start looking for good parts to build my own?
dangerden.com is good. If you give us a budget we can try to point you in the right direction. DD has a sale (i think it's still going on), you might wanna see how long that lasts too. I got a BIX for 40 bucks shipped :)

WellI guess the most I would want to spend is 500 dollars, but the thing I like msot about the koolance unit is that its all in one area and tucked away. I could build my own housing for the equipment I guess but then again I would need to see what im working with first =D

SegaDream said:
WellI guess the most I would want to spend is 500 dollars, but the thing I like msot about the koolance unit is that its all in one area and tucked away. I could build my own housing for the equipment I guess but then again I would need to see what im working with first =D
My experience with Koolance was abysmal. I would get Swiftech or Dangerden pieces and put them together. I would make sure that I never mix copper and aluminium again. Even with the golden paint that they call plating, the Koolance waterblock is extremely fragile. Mine pealed and corrosion followed, even with their Koolance liquid. And by using good parts from Swiftech and/or Dangerden, you will get better performance and have something of way better quality.

Back