• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

water cooling a hassel

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

D3s3rt3agle

Registered
I heard that water cooling wasnt worth the hassel and the risks and the price.
any exprienced person has diffrent opinion

Uhh, how about hundreds of opinions (maybe thousands). This forum is here because the "hassel" is worth it.

It's like any hobby. If you're not interested in it to begin with, it won't be worth the hassle and price. It's just like cars: most people think it's too much a hassle to change their own oil, while others love working on their own cars.

I love it WCing. But if you don't really care about temperature or noise levels, there's no point in it. If you're smart about shopping and installation, there's very little risk and the price isn't that bad.

IMO watercooling is always worth the hassel if you do not want your computer to be noisy. Watercooling can achieve the same temps as aircooling at less than half the dBa (on average).

As for cost you can build a watercooling setup for about the cost of good air cooling and the watercooling will beat it hands down. The only problem is that you really have to hunt for the deals when buying your WC'ing parts.

As for risks, well there really is Zero risk if you just do everything properly and take your time. I have been watercooling myself now for over 2 years and I have NEVER had a leak, in fact the only time watercooling indangered my equipment was due to my own mental error and the fact that I was rushing myself.

Watercooling really is superior to aircooling in almost everyway, especially if you do things the proper way. Doing things the proper way will be a lot easier too now that you have joined these forums :D.

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS. :welcome:

Well, I don't see myself going back to air after 11 months of this. My system is almost inaudible, temps are fantastic no matter what I do, and I have FAR LESS maintenance to have to keep up with. With air I had to blow out the wads of dust about every 2 weeks or so. With [url="http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=401801&page=1&pp=30']my setup[/url], I can go 6 weeks or so before addressing dust, and I only change the water out every few months or so which is not hard to do.

My last system was sealed up amazingly, and I only changed the water once every year or so. The parts were still fine when I sold them on ebay after 3 years of continual use. I'd say it's not a hassle at all, and I'd personally never go back to air cooling.

i started WCing a few mo's ago
and i have to say its amazing
ocing you cpu will never have such a big affect on temps again. im able to run my pent D @ 4.1 without going over what was my idle temp @ stock speeds on air!
my next tast will be making my setup quiet :)

heh - for 149.99 from comp usa you can get the thermaltake bigwater kit...
very easy to intall...
it dropped my pD 3.2 840 from idle 60c to idle 40c
20 degree drop from the matched intel HSF

not worth it?

hmmm..... 80% overclocked $160 Dothan that runs as fast as a $1000 fx57. Does that sound worth it?

It can be fairly hassel free or it can be extremely difficult and time consuming. I prefer the latter. Is it going to be more of a hassel than air? Of course. I personally would recommend an innovatek system since the compression fittings are almost leak proof and all the components they make are high quality.

I love water!! It can be a little pricey depending on how you do it, but I bought an asetek waterchill kit, and it was Super Easy for me.. Success first time and no leaks. Great case temps now, sweet overclocks..

bri1 said:
Watercooling is watever you make it!

Think of that my young jedi!
What a useless post!

I have overclocked a bunch of Pentium setups and most of them are notoriously hot at stock speeds nevermind overclocked. I'm running an extremely loud fan to keep my setup cool now and i am definitely planning a watercooling setup after the holidays just for the noise factor. Believe me, after you've done some research here and get some advice from the experts here your setup will be a snap, and well worth it.
So :welcome: to the forums and good luck.

what you talking about if you want watercooling its awsome if you dont whanna deal with liquid in your computer then its dumb

it is what you make it

Thx guess water cooling is a good way to go its pretty cool to when you put green dye and use a black light its tight as hell

Now now boys...

Watercooling is whatever you make of it.
Personally, I don't watercool, or even overclock. I sit at the computer when I'm home surfing the net. When I'm not home, it sits here waiting for faxes.
But boy it's the best dang watercooled computer in the county!

Watercooling can be a means to an end (higher OC, quiter system) or it can be the hobby in itself. Your choice. You can build a system that you set and forget while you do other things (I keep hearing about this thing called a life...) or it can be what you do with your time. Again, your choice.

Personally, it gives me something to do and keeps me too poor and distracted to hang out at the bar, and as an added bonus, it's a whole lot quiter and smells nicer too! :D

ƒÓÒl said:
Now now boys...

Watercooling is whatever you make of it.
Personally, I don't watercool, or even overclock. I sit at the computer when I'm home surfing the net. When I'm not home, it sits here waiting for faxes.
But boy it's the best dang watercooled computer in the county!

Watercooling can be a means to an end (higher OC, quiter system) or it can be the hobby in itself. Your choice. You can build a system that you set and forget while you do other things (I keep hearing about this thing called a life...) or it can be what you do with your time. Again, your choice.

Personally, it gives me something to do and keeps me too poor and distracted to hang out at the bar, and as an added bonus, it's a whole lot quiter and smells nicer too! :D

coppy cat :p

I really fail to see the hastle involved. Routing tubing and filling/bleeding is a small price to pay to get a system that is much less noisy and far far more scaleable than air. I can run my system at stock speed, or i can oc it to its limits, only see a few degree's jump in temp and not have to endure a change in the noise level.
I can also add to that cooling system a peice at a time and it can handle the extra load with a smile, still, with the same noise level.
I think its win win. you just have to be willing to dump a lot of money at once on it. most people arent willing to spend $200 to cool their computers. I think that is retarded, especially with people who buy $500+ components like cpu's and graphics cards.

Back