• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thoughts and Opinions: X-flow radiators

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pwnt by pat

Due to the single pass design they look to be a bit less restrictive than dual pass, however, I think I recall cathar saying something about the fact that the due to the higher restriction, water moves faster through the dual pass cooling it better.

The price isn't bad for the 1x120 pro and I was thinking of adding it as a third radiator to my loop (and replacing the fans with those rad coolermaster 120x32mm fans)

http://www.dangerdenstore.com/product.php?productid=192&cat=73&page=1

thoughts, comments?

I'll try to answer this one.

First off, heat transfer is enhanced via increased flow rate, in any case. If you remember the original Blackice radiators of about 4-5 years ago, they were first 4-pass radiators, making them incredibly restrictive. With a powerful enough pump, they would probably work well. One must strike a balance between pressure drop and flow rate in radiators. Too little restriction (one-pass), and you run the risk of too low of overall flow rate. You'd need a pump with a higher free-flow rate. Too much restriction, and you will tax the pump so hard that it won't push much either. This case would need a pump with monster head capability. This is probably the reason why a 2-pass design *in the case of the Blackice/Thermochill series rads* will work best. But as with all things, test data would be nice to show hard evidence.

For what it is worth CoolingWorks has undertaken a scientific survey of all radiators...we have found absolutely no justification for the production of a single pass radiator. Dual pass radiators are ideally suited for most PC liquid cooling applications.

Back