• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Another, how's my temps thread?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MassiveOverkill

My rig: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=973995

My final fan setup (I've redone this about 10 times trying to find the best results) is a Panasonic FBA12G12H 120x38 mounted directed to the rad (BIX 120 dual pass) sucking fresh air from the outside, through the rad. and part of the exhaust dumping into the case and part dumping out the back. No it's not shrouded, there's no room to do it.

EDIT: I'm not as worried about a shroud now:

Airdoesflowhere.jpg

Part of my heat problems were my power supply. That thing gets as hot as a nuclear reactor in meltdown. I've temporarily isolated the power supply heat.

I've cleaned my Storm block out twice to make sure there was no debris. First time, all the jets had debris. Second time, only one did, so it should be pretty clean. I've removed my IHS and re-applied Shin-Etsu............yeah yeah I know, just go bare die.........I can't. There's not enough room to confidently mount the block straight on. Storm block to IHS is Shin-Etsu.

I've made sure everything is bled........using MCT-5 btw. No kinks as I have coolsleeves throughout. I'm using 1/2" thinwall throughout except from the MCP-350 output to the Storm block, which is 3/8". There's no room to make that run 1/2" if I wanted to. Yes the block is installed with inlet/outlet in the proper locations and yes I re-assembled it correctly.

OK, to my temps.

Ambient room is 24.4C/76F
Water temp measured with a thermister taped to the rad plenum chamber is 30C/86F at idle

My idle/load temps running RTHDBRL are follows:

CPU 41C/50C
GPU 39C/46C
Water temp 30C/34C

While running Prime95, my CPU load gets up to 53C. It peaks at 53C, but fluctuates between 48-53C.

Varying my fan speed affects temps very little, mayble 1C. I'm guessing that either this is good as my radiator is very efficient, or bad in that I have blockage. The stuff clogging my jets wasn't metal shavings, looked like broken down 3M scrubbing pad-type material.......which I'm thinking should pass through the radiator tubes fine. There wasn't a whole lot of it, but then again, it doesn't take much to clog a Storm, which is why I want to get rid of it.

My CPU is overclocked to 2.9 Ghz at 1.5V, 7800GT is OC to 480/1100, no volt mods. I'm using an MCW-55 GPU block.

After flogging, my water temps don't return to 30C.........the lowest they get is 32C, and correspondingly my CPU/GPU idle temps increase slightly to 42C/41C

According to the 10C delta theory I should be OK, but my temp range spectrum seems about 5C too high. I'm really thinking of buying an Apogee tommorrow. I really don't think flow is a problem. It's why I went with 1/2" tubing. BIX is advertised as low pressure drop.

You think my temps are OK, or is everyone else who's H20 cooled with 38-45C load temps getting them because they're using double or triple rads?

Last edited:
I'm not sure how much of a difference the temperature for the water and the actual CPU is, but consider too your temp monitor may be off (the mobo one).

I think it's acurate, since my GPU idle temps are close to the same.

Lowered my overall load temps for water/GPU/CPU by 2C.................moved my APS 650 UPS away from my intake fan :bang head

Last edited:
Back