• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

newb watercooling...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MaxPowers_68

This is the 1st time that i go water cooling and i was a little hesitant at first but did some reading up and decided to go with it. This being my 1st time water cooling i didn't want to piece it together but just buy a kit. I purchased the Swiftech H20-120™ SERIES CPU LIQUID COOLING KITS (Revision 3a)
H20-120-FK-R3a_01.jpg

cause i wasn't to thrilled about the apogee and how the jets could clog. I should be receiving it shortly so is there any mistakes that you guys have done that i could learn from?

yeah i knew that i was just kidding :p so anything you guys have done that you recommend a newb not doing

Don't use tap water. Hard lessons learned there.

Put the rad where it gets fresh air and not hot case air.

Aidenswarrior said:
buying a kit :p
would have saved alot of money customizing your own. That is my advice

like i had said i didnt feel that confident to piece my own together plus for 150 everything, new, shipped isnt to bad + this is a discontinued model so its cheaper than 200n something for the h20-120 Premium.

You can go nuts buying the newest greatest stuff later. Hook the system up and have some fun. IMO, you probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference in your overclock between using what you have now and the absolute best possible anyway.

well tech right now im using a p4 stock hs and i should be reciving the wc kit on thurs

just received it today! should i use the hydrX it comes with or something else. I would like to have it blue.

Might want to run some antifreeze with it. I think you can get blue antifreeze. A 9:1 distilled water/antifreeze mix should keep you maintanance free for quite some time.

i own a vdub and i didnt even know it was blue... is there any i can purchase at pepboys, discount autoparts that is blue?

ok so i was so excited i said screw the blue antifreeze and used the hydrX. Everything so far (knock on wood) went off without a hitch but i have a question. In the resivoir it sounds like its gurging. Should i put more water in it?

MaxPowers_68 said:
ok so i was so excited i said screw the blue antifreeze and used the hydrX. Everything so far (knock on wood) went off without a hitch but i have a question. In the resivoir it sounds like its gurging. Should i put more water in it?

Lol! Now thats something I can fully understand ;)

If you feel like playing around with your loop again later and still want the blue antifreeze....

Pap-parts Pentosin G11 Blue Antifreeze

Pentosin G11 was used in many of the German pre 1995 cars. Its been replaced by Pentosin G12 (off pinkish color) for the most part. You can find it or nearly the same thing at most Audi and VW parts stores but you have to specify the 'blue antifreeze'. I normally find it now in full gallon containers under a generic name and as someone above said...its well over $20. If you arent in a tremendous hurry I would simply grab some online from the above link or another German car parts supply store.

It does make a nice blue ;)

MaxPowers_68 said:
i own a vdub and i didnt even know it was blue... is there any i can purchase at pepboys, discount autoparts that is blue?

When I went to the autoparts store, they had green, blue and orange antifreeze. That's actually what the guy asked me, what color i needed. You should be able to just say you need blue antifreeze and they should have it.

Seven7Thirty30 said:
What about food coloring for blue fluid?
Don't do that. Food coloring has other additives in it that dye designed for a WC setup does not, if you use it it can junk up your system and potentially harm your pump. Also, Audi is the blue antifreeze.

MaxPowers_68 said:
...Everything so far (knock on wood) went off without a hitch but i have a question. In the resivoir it sounds like its gurging. Should i put more water in it?

any idea on this guys?

Back