• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Safe, worry free, low maint. Water Block Suggestion

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Killaapp

Hey guys,

I am going to water cool my Intel 640 and 6800Gt. I am planning on ordering a Swiftech 665 Pump, BIX2 Rad, Danger Den G4 VGA cooler, 7/16 tubing...

I just simply don't know what waterblock to go with. I want something that is easy to maintain (ie. I don't want to deal with cleaning the jets of a Storm) but at the same time I want something reliable that won't leak (I have heard the 6002 series leaks occasionally)

What is a low maintenance, reliable water block that still offers great performance. I originally wanted an Apogee but heard recently that the quality wasn't that great? Any ideas? Thank you!

I've never heard of a 6002 leaking if you put clamps on the tubing.
Also, generally theres not a whole lot of maitnance needed to a system if you design it properly. Storm jets will only clog if you get stuff in them, or if your unlucky and it comes that way. And all systems will generate problems if you let things grow inside it. I'm going on 6months w/o doing more than adding fluid into my loop.

hm, ok, interesting. So as long as I keep everything closed and air tight (using distilled water) I won't get any dirt in the system? Hm, I really want to try the new Apogee I am just worried about getting one with broken parts or shavings in it.

Killaapp said:
hm, ok, interesting. So as long as I keep everything closed and air tight (using distilled water) I won't get any dirt in the system? Hm, I really want to try the new Apogee I am just worried about getting one with broken parts or shavings in it.

I'd really say go for the Swiftech 6002, look @ Jab-tech.com for it, should be ~$32 (great price), reason it's so cheap is it's discontinued (Storm and App. pushed it out), but it's a DAMN good WB, and I'm mad that Swifty discontinued it, cause I wanna buy one in the future, but they probably won't be sold much longer.

Also, I don't think many use Distilled Water alone, I'd say also use Anti-freeze (look @ some posts on what coolant mixtures
people use)

Ok thanks, I have heard great things about them I just read a few posts where people reported leaking. I'm sure if I use clamps at 7/16 tubing I won't have any problems.

Aren't there problems with the Apogee's? Did I read that they are shipping with broken parts and a problem with "shavings"? Is there a way to fix that?

There have been problems with metal shavings and possible bent pins. The people that have had this/these problems have fixed it easily enough by taking the block apart and cleaning it up.

I haven't heard a peep out of my 6002 yet after 6 months or so.

If I were you, I would go with the Apogee from jab-tech with coupon for $40 and just take it apart and make sure it is good to go. Should at worst be no big deal.

Also, what is a "Danger Den G4 VGA cooler"? You want to go with a Danger Den Maze 4 acetal for the GPU. It is a great GPU WB and mounts very easily.

I'm sorry, that was a typo, I meant the Maze 4 =) Yes I have heard some really great things about it and def want to try it out.

The more I read about the Apogee the more it scares me. Hm, I might just go for a 6002 for $30 for now and later when the Apogee is all worked out grab one.

Thanks for all the help!

I didn't say it in my previous post the mixture I use is antifreez(mixed metals)+iodine+distilled

If you have a pure plastic/one metal system i'd probally go with iodine+distilled. Iodine seems to be effective in concentrations that won't hinder heat transfer.

sunrunner20 said:
I didn't say it in my previous post the mixture I use is antifreez(mixed metals)+iodine+distilled

If you have a pure plastic/one metal system i'd probally go with iodine+distilled. Iodine seems to be effective in concentrations that won't hinder heat transfer.

Hm I do not know about that yet. I ordered the system today and just bought a few bottles of the swiftech hydrX or whatever coolant. Should I be using something else besides the swiftech mixture?

Back