• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Whether you buy a Storm or Apogee....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Indeed.
Using the Storm on a DFI LP board you can actually mount the fan with two standoffs...
ramfan.jpg

Sweet, I just ordered one of the Apogee's from Jab-tech for 39 shipped. Now I can put some of the random fans I have laying around to use!

does anyone know if the mounts for a D-Tek LRWW will let you do this?

If you're really into it, turns out that the hole spacing on a standard ATX motherboard is absolutely perfect to support an 80mm fan.
All you need is proper length standoffs...
fan4arrow.jpg

Here's a shot of a DFI board to show the holes I used...
mountexample.jpg

This allows a fan mount which blows onto the passive heatsinks in the PWM area and also (whether it's useful or not) over the sensor for "motherboard" temp (as reported in Speedfan, Everest, etc.)

That is a very, very good idea! Thanks for sharing. I've been trying to figure out a good, clean way to actively cool this Ballistix memory. This looks like just the solution I needed.

You guys arent worried about torque? Considering the A64s mount using only two holes with pressure along a single center axis, the fan on one end may create undesired lift on the opposing side. But I see how active cooling on vital components outweights thee possible minimal effect of the torque. Just utting it out there.

Neither of them appear to be using the two holes that mount the block to the board. Instead they are using the spare holes on the universal holddown.

if you crank down the waterblock a 80mm fan's weight isn't going to affect anything...

i do this when i do dry ice runs, for pwm, ram, northbridge

haha gr8 way of mounting fans .. ive just cut a hole and fitted a fan in my window today. cools my ram nice. and just orderd a storm about 4 hours ago. so much hype.. had to get one :)

Uhh, this is a very bad idea... even the weight of the hose itself can throw a mount off whack. I don't recommend hanging ANYTHING from the wb.

nikhsub1 said:
Uhh, this is a very bad idea... even the weight of the hose itself can throw a mount off whack. I don't recommend hanging ANYTHING from the wb.
Well, I considered that possibility before I added the fan and decided to try it anyway.
Then again, unlike MO's setup (and most other people's for that matter), none of my waterblocks use springs in the mounting and it would take some pretty serious weight/vibration to shift the block.

Caveat emptor applies here just as with any mod, I suppose.

nikhsub1 said:
Thats what I was getting at. I remember my SocketA 6002 which had quite a substantial amount of torque on it from just the water filled tubing; and that was attached with a 3 prong socketA clip, not just two centered-points like 939.

But on the other hand (what I said above) if you dont care about WB performance all that much, or at all, then go for it. give them MOSFETS some air. :-/

Senater_Cache said:
But on the other hand (what I said above) if you dont care about WB performance all that much, or at all, then go for it. give them MOSFETS some air. :-/
Why would you assume that I (we) didn't care about performance?
None of my block temps changed a whit after mounting the fan or I would have reevaluated it's practicality and certainly would not have advocated it's use in this thread.

i do the same thing with my TDX using the wb mount rod but have it barly on with a nut and it resting on the tubing. i got it positioned to cool mosfets. my reasoning is if they make huge heavy heatsinks that way near 500g a wb and fan isnt much torque. i havnt seen any temp change in cpu but mosfets went from around 80c to high 40s under load and give much more stable power at high voltage. so for me personlly the benifets outwieght the risk.

Water tubing (especially the thick stuff) can exert torque on your water block because essentially it's a long lever........albeit flexible........it's still a lever. Torque = force X distance (this is simplified). I'd have to hang a fan off a 2' (that's feet, not inches) long screw to create the kind of torque you're worried about overcoming the pressure of the springs.

Last edited:
clocker2 said:
Why would you assume that I (we) didn't care about performance?
None of my block temps changed a whit after mounting the fan or I would have reevaluated it's practicality and certainly would not have advocated it's use in this thread.
It wasnt meant to be condescending.
What Im getting at is that I said "all that much" not "that anyone didnt care about it (at all).
What I mean is its a tradeoff, and if a person is all about max WC performance (myself) and less about max OC ( pushing multiple components to the max, not just the WC) that person may not care about this.
I certainly didnt mean to cause a stirr. Hang away.

I like the idea, but having it "HANG" isn't a good idea.

What about adding 2 more non-conductive legs to the other side?

I think clocker2 has it goin' on. :)

:attn:

Seems like a good idea to me, I've been looking for a way to cool my RAM.

Since some of you dont like this idea, whats a way you recommend to mount a fan over the RAM?

Back