• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about setting system up outside a case?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You want anything electrical on a non-conductive surface... if on a towel and you get a leak on towel, your coolant soaks in and makes the surface conductive... depends if rig is going to be running or not ultimately. Personally, whack a towel down, plonk mobo box on towel, mobo on top of mobo box, PSU to side off the towel out of reach of spillage. HDDs I just lie flat over empty PCI slots... CD-Rom off to one side off the towel.

I like using a book that you don't need that just tall enough so the lip of your cards doesn't hang off and is big enough to hold your mobo.

In my case Physics made simple.

Ok, I was doing this to test the WC setup before it went into the case

If I do this, is it going to be THAT much harder to put it all back into the case once I'm done testing?

-Morgan

If everything is measure out, I wouldn't think it would be that hard. If you haven't removed everything from the case yet, I would loosely put all the stuff into place so you have an idea how long all the tubes should be.

5|*42 said:
If everything is measure out, I wouldn't think it would be that hard. If you haven't removed everything from the case yet, I would loosely put all the stuff into place so you have an idea how long all the tubes should be.

that was my initial plan, im gonna mount it all in the case and fit tube lengths only with no fluid and the system off

then take it all out to leak test.

why not get an AT powersupply from like compusa, as i did, and just leak test with all the stuff in your comp, without your comp running. AT powersupplies let you run things, like your pump, without having to be plugged into a mobo. I got one for $21.53.

Aidenswarrior said:
why not get an AT powersupply from like compusa, as i did, and just leak test with all the stuff in your comp, without your comp running. AT powersupplies let you run things, like your pump, without having to be plugged into a mobo. I got one for $21.53.
You can run an ATX PSU w/o a mobo.

MasterCraft said:
that was my initial plan, im gonna mount it all in the case and fit tube lengths only with no fluid and the system off

then take it all out to leak test.
Assuming you measure everything correctly, it should be fine. However, if at all possible, you would be better off testing it inside the case and either getting a cheap AT psu as aiden mentioned, or jumping the one you have. That way you would risk causing a leak but not knowing it when you move everything back into your case.

I have my new system with the radiator mounted ontop of the case using two shelf brackets. I can post some pictures later when I get my system completed.

-GearShift3r

Back