• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

potential setup..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ankun

I made a post yesterday inquiring about a block, as well as the pump I have.. well it turns out my pump is leaking so I basically need a full WC setup (minus the clamps.. water and additive as I have those already) This is what I quickly pieced together

Swiftech Apogee block ($10 off.. couldnt refuse) - $40
10 ft Clearflex 60 Tubing (1/2" ID 5/8" OD) - $7
DD's Double Heatercore - $45 (with shroud)
2x Yate Loon 120MM fans - $12
DD-D5 waterpump - $75
Lastly, DD Fillport - $12

I've already got T-fitting as well which I will use. The total ticket price comes to about $210 shipped. I plan on cooling only my CPU (athlon 64 X2 3800+ at 2.6ghz atm) for the time being.. probably adding a GPU block to the loop down the road (once I get a GPU that actually puts out some heat.. using one of those eVGA 6200s atm)

Think this setup will suffice? And that it is a good setup for my $210? Anything more cost-wise is basically out of my budget.. so any improvements would have to keep the same price-point about. (budget is more like $200 actually.. heh)

looks good to me fella...i got a d5 pump.. cant hear it at all and its got some push to it. running mine on a 2 block loop. cpu/gpu with a thermochill 120 x 2 rad. 45c been my max temp on each block to far

welcome to the forums

p.s nice price on the block.. i just ordered a storm in the uk £47 before shippin. dam this stuff is expencive here

pick different fans. Yate Loons are known to be low airflow, low pressure, low noise fans. With a heater core you want high pressure, high airflow fans. They simply won't do.

Other than that, looks good.

Hmm Ok. Well I may be looking into different fans then. Noise really isnt TOO much of a factor (as I have my secondary AXP rig right next to it with a volcano 7+ on "medium" setting.. which is fairly loud) The main selling point on those was the price. I suppose I could look into something else though. ty for the suggestion.

Thanks for the welcome as well. I've been reading here off and on for.. at least a year or so :p Never really had a reason to post so I never bothered to register.

edit: I had one more question.. I was planning to mount my radiator on the top of the case and cut 3 holes into the case to run tubes in (radiator IN, radiator OUT, as well as the hole for the fillport) Would this cause much of an issue with bleeding? I suppose my case isnt too terribly heavy to where I would be unable to turn it around and such to help get water into all the crannies (rad etc.) I've never had to really bleed a system before so I suppose I would be overdramatizing about it?? I guess I should maybe leave that one up to chance and see how things go :p

Think the fillport can be connected to the loop yet not "set" into the case? to allow me to get the fillport area higher than the radiator?

Last edited:
hold off on fans and try to get yourself someting powerful like Sanyo Denki or the alu CoolerMasters that nikhsub1 uses in his beast III.

The rad you have (heaterrccore) is like 20 bux at your local autoparts store. What I am talking about is the "76 Bonneville w/ AC" or " 2-302". A hsroud should be deep (at least 1") so make sure youre not getting yourself one of those slim shrouds.

have fun.
BTW where di you get the tubing?

jab-tech has the tubing. I realize where the core comes from.. I know it sounds stupid (as I'm trying to save money) but I just dont have the time / willpower to get myself out to the autostore after a long day of work. If I could find one online for cheaper i'd go ahead and buy it.. but most places I've seen dont sell them for less than $30 + shipping anyway.

I'll look into fans.. not sure what I'll get yet. I'm splittign this order between danger-den and jab-tech atm.. and I'd rather not have to include another company just for the fans, so it basically comes down to finding a fan that one of these companies has that I like (price as well) $15 seems like too damn much for a single fan. I bought 20 80mm fans last december from newegg for the same price.

edit: I also have some tubing here.. its "smoke" colored though.. I'd def prefer clear. I picked it up along with the pump I have (the one that leaks) at my old job.. I think they sell it for something like $.70 a foot though..

Last edited:
Back