• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anybody ever thought of cutting the side window of your case...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wall7486

Registered
I think is probable for people who has relatively a cramped case. I was just thinking can't you just cut a hole big enough to fit a rad box and some holes for tubing? Then you're able to use a dual rad or even triple. It is just much easier cutting the side window (plastic-like) than the metal part of your case. I don't know just a thought. What do you guys think?

Depending on the metal the case is made out of, I'd rather cut metal than the plastic, as the plastic always seems to melt and look really messy. But if you had a thick enough case, you could do it, but I don't know how much better off that'd be than just sticking it behind your case.

i just cut a hole in my plastic side panel yesterday tio ad a fan to push air over my ram.. went like a dream.. took my time no cracks. but i wouldnt hold a rad on it. would stress the plastik to much. cuttin metal is easy ..theres always someone near with tools and maybe even do it for you if you dont wanna do it yourself

I did exactly that for my watercooled mATX LAN rig.

The first effort had the rad (old Swiftech dual 120mm fan rad) mounted to the side panel, which for the case I used (old IBM Aptiva mini system) wrapped around the top and the other side as well. Very annoying when mucking around in the case: had to unscrew the rad and then remove the piece. Assembly was worse. :(

The second effort utilized some of what I learned from the original-
hole was slightly resized to allow the rad to be mounted to the case frame- cover slid OVER it. This was much better, but still made accessing things tough.

The final (current) effort adds upon that:
rad is the same- mounted to case with a hole in the panel.
Motherboard, pci/agp cards and water pump are ALL on a removable tray now. :)

To access stuff:
remove cover
unbolt rad
remove one screw holding tray
carefully slide radiator and tray out of the case.

I apologize for taking things further than the original topic but I though a few of the things I learned might be useful to others who are considering doing something similar, although I'll admit I ended up deciding aginst a window after all.
I had one started when I was first building the rig but ended up deciding that it was so cramped inside that it wasn't worth looking at, lol.

Back