• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Noob question...heater core vs. dual rad??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Alchemy1

How would a heater core match up to a dual rad like a BIPII/BIXII? I have been reading threads over on another forum and it seems like everyont thinks the heater core out performs both rads. Also, about what CFM fan would you need for a heater core?

The perfomance is close enough to not really matter. The main things to consider are price, how much space you have to work with, and your ability/willingness to do some modding for the heater core. I personally prefer using a heater core, but that is because I am cheap.

As for fans, I believe 80cfm is recommended but I find 50cfm to work just fine. The main thing you'll want to look for in a radiator fan is pressure; the more pressure, the better it will work.

There are many variables and it's too hard to say for sure. Because heater cores typically are thicker with a higher fpi, they require a more powerful fan to cool perform well, where as radiators that aren't as thick and have a lower fpi will reach their full potential with lower power fans. If you switch fans, the rad would probably show diminishing returns and the heater core would foul up due to not enough power on a fan.

Also, in addition to fans, it also depends on coolant flow (restriction differences between the radiators) and installation...

I want the setup to be as quiet as possible, but still maintain all the benefits of h2o cooling (lower temps than air at a higher OC). I just bought a CM stacker on ebay for $135. So, space is not a big concern. I am thinking of running a dual rad/hc on the bottom of the case...using the stock bottom vent. I already have an apogee and I plan on using an MPC-655 pump. The only thing I am kind of up in the air about is the rad/hc. BTW I plan on using this h20 setup on my 640 and later (mid '06) upgrading to a cedar mill/975x mobo.

If you want silence, I would recommend getting a dual radiator with low thickness and fin density. The recommended radiators for quiet systems are the Black Ice Pro series, and the thermochill PA120 series.

Back