• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what do you think?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tompson

I'm putting together a new watercooling setup for my new rig. I've been running a similar setup (FX 53, ASUS delux MB) on water for a year now so I'm not new too watercooling... Just a little out of touch.

I'm already running:

2 x eVGA e-Geforce 7800 GTX KO video card
Enermax Noisetaker 600W
OCZ EL DDR PC-4000 Dual Channel Gold VX (voltage extreme)
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ CPU
2 X Western Digital 8MB buffer, 74GB Raptor in Raid 0 array
DFI LANParty nForce4 SLI-DR
Lian-Li PC-V1200 Plus case modified with window
Thermalright SI-120 CPU heatsink and Panaflo (Panasonic) 120mm M speed HydroWave fan
Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS

I'm thinking about:
1. Swiftech Apogee or Storm / DD TDX / DD Maze4-1 (peltier) ????
2. Black Ice Xtreame 3 (I'm going to have 2x7800 and X2)
3. DD - D5 pump ????
4. Tygon 1/2 tubing
5. 2x DD N7800 waterblocks for SLI
6. Reservior: http://www.frozencpu.com/ex-res-70.html

What do people think about the new apogee CPU block? I want a block with a large enough base to mate with a 400+ watt peltier if I choose to go that route in the future (I like to have options). The TDX wont be compatible but will the Storm or the Apogee.

Tripple fan radiator is necessary I think due to the two 7800s and the 4800+.

My old rig had a DD - D4 pump which was nice but a little loud. Anyone know of any good but quiet pumps?

Any other comments?

it looks good, I would consider the maze 4 gpu and some ramsinks over the 7800 block. Also forget the TDX (its not as good as the apogee, storm, or 6002) when considering a CPU block and using peltiers requires another PSU , insulation, and elevated risk of component death.

It looks good to me, though I would agree with SB that the TDX has become a mid-level block. As for the NV78 SLI, as long as you have enough surface area to clear the heat from all that GDDR3 you'll be fine. Don't forget the high-pressure fans for that BIX3. You may want to consider 2xD5 (very quiet compared to the D4) if you go with a Storm. The loop I have planned for my Christmas upgrade is very similar to yours. I'm using two MCP655's in series with the idea of being able to drive my Storm well and STILL have enough pressure left to push through all that tubing PLUS an HE120.3. :D

This may be a stupid question... But the ram is on the underside!? I never noticed. They were of course on the top side on my old 6800 GT SLI rig. Thats what made the DDNV68 blocks so good. They cooled the ram as well.

Are all the 7800 boards like that (with the ram on the underside)??!! I guess I'll just have to go ahead and buy some headsinks for the memory. On my old NV68 colled 6800 board I could get massive OCs on the memory, I guess I won't be able to do that anymore.

Do you know if there is enough room to put heatsinks on the backside with the nv78 blocks?

Still, why do you recommend the maze4 instead of the nv78?

tompson said:
This may be a stupid question... But the ram is on the underside!? I never noticed. They were of course on the top side on my old 6800 GT SLI rig. Thats what made the DDNV68 blocks so good. They cooled the ram as well.

Are all the 7800 boards like that (with the ram on the underside)??!! I guess I'll just have to go ahead and buy some headsinks for the memory. On my old NV68 colled 6800 board I could get massive OCs on the memory, I guess I won't be able to do that anymore.

Do you know if there is enough room to put heatsinks on the backside with the nv78 blocks?

Still, why do you recommend the maze4 instead of the nv78?

http://www.jab-tech.com/The-Danger-...o-2-Acetal-MAZE4GPU-1-2-Fittings-pr-2970.html

all together for you :)

Back