• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What thermal paste to use with a w/c setup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dak9767

I trying to figure out what thermal paste is best for a w/c setup. Would Arctic Alumina, Arctic Silver 5 or Arctic Silver Ceramique work best?

bri1 said:
why do you like ceramique on vid card?

because it is noncapacitive, the cpu is kinda buy it self and raised up or w/e while with the gpu, it has a lot of transistors and all that stuff right around the core. You may notice a 1 or 2 degree difference, but it is worth it to be on the safe side.

Aidenswarrior said:
because it is noncapacitive, the cpu is kinda buy it self and raised up or w/e while with the gpu, it has a lot of transistors and all that stuff right around the core. You may notice a 1 or 2 degree difference, but it is worth it to be on the safe side.

ive never heard of anyone having a problem with as5 on their gpu

there are a handfull of people on this forum who are afraid of using as5 on their video cards but we've never seen anyone have a problem with it. personally i've been using as5 on my gpus and northbridges since it came out.

bri1 said:

it is a saftey procaution... doesnt mean it is has ever happened, it is just saftey to prevent it from happening. Plus, i follow directions from dangerden and that is what they say to use.

bri1 said:
whell its worth the extra performance we are overclockers after all

i know how to use the edit!!!

well if you think putting as5 on a vid card and risk loosing a $450 vid card over a 2 degree mistake, then you can go ahead and do that.

if you have a 450 dollar vid card you need to tell your parrent your spoiled!

and once i see soemoen say my as5 ruined my vid card then ill concider it a potential threat

bri1 said:
if you have a 450 dollar vid card you need to tell your parrent your spoiled!

and once i see soemoen say my as5 ruined my vid card then ill concider it a potential threat

have you heard of jobs... not everyone has to have a budget machine. people on this forum are not all 12 year olds like yourself. and again, i would rather be safe than sorry.

Wow, his posts are hard to read. Bri, try a spellcheck on occasion.

On topic: I use Ceramique on my GPU because I allowed myself to run out of AS5. I've used both with no trouble, and also no appreciable temperature differences.

bri1 said:
http://www.arcticsilver.com/ceramique_instructions.htm
Caution:
While much safer than silver greases engineered for high electrical conductivity, Arctic Silver thermal compound should be kept away from electrical traces, pins, and leads. The compound is slightly capacitive and could cause problems if it bridged two close-proximity electrical paths.
Arctic Silver 5 and all other metal based TIMs are capacative. If you apply AS5 to your vid card you have to be very careful. For electrically sensitive applications, many people do not have the skill to apply the right amount. If you lack the skill or patience, it could be a 700 dollar mistake.
I agree with Aidenswarrior, it's better to be safe than sorry.

I use ceramique on both the CPu and GPU just because I am scared of frying my stuff. It's not expensive stuff, but I don't have the funding to go out and buy new parts.

3.2C
6800GT

Back