• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What type of antifreeze/coolant?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Janus67

Benching Team Leader
This week I will be building my WC system and I am wondering what sort of antifreeze/coolant to use. I am planning to just go to a hardware store where I can buy my tline as well, so would think just that any coolant/antifreeze would be okay, or am I wrong in that assumption? Does it matter what numbers that it uses or anything?

Janus67 said:
This week I will be building my WC system and I am wondering what sort of antifreeze/coolant to use. I am planning to just go to a hardware store where I can buy my tline as well, so would think just that any coolant/antifreeze would be okay, or am I wrong in that assumption? Does it matter what numbers that it uses or anything?

i had asked this question a while ago and found out, it doesnt really matter. Antifreeze is there for corrosion protection. I am assuming you are going with the 10%antifreeze to 90%distilled water solution. Antifreeze is put in the mixture just as like a safety procaution. So, it is up to you what you want to use. I got the pet safe stuff, which is a little less potent, because of my dog. so yea, what ever is cheapest, that is what i would get.

sounds good. Also, I like to carry my system around a bit, do I have to be especially careful when moving it around? I don't go a lot, but probably a few LANs a year etc.

Janus67 said:
sounds good. Also, I like to carry my system around a bit, do I have to be especially careful when moving it around? I don't go a lot, but probably a few LANs a year etc.

just take some precaution, i mean it is ok just to carry it around. Leaking shouldnt be a problem, just make sure your clamps are secure, check for leaks when you get to the lan party or w/e. It shouldnt be a problem though. like dont put the thing in your trunk and let it slide around. I would keep mine in the front seat like on the floor so i can see it or maybe try strapping it up with the seat belt.

Well moving it around can be easy or hard depending on the setup. If you do a closed loop or a t-line with a good cap on the T then you shouldn't have a problem unless you drop it or get rough with it somehow. Even then chances are you will jsut knock the blocks off a little and hurt your temps. I move my pc around alot for changes and hurricanes and never had problems with my watercooling. Just make sure you have everything attached solid and clamps are used on every barb. Also when moving it to a lan a seatbelt on it doesn't hurt. :D

that's okay, I always keep mine on the floor in the backseat between the passanger and the back to keep it nice and snug. I will do that with the clamps and everything too of course. That was a close one, almost forgot to get a plug for my t-line.

oh, and on the topic of a plug for the line, would it be better to get a fillport from say, DD, or how should I rig it up?

For moving a WC'd system around much just a few precautions and you shouldnt have any problem...

1. Make sure all components are fastened in place. Many times people forget to bolt or tie down their pumps. Thats a fair amount of weight that can move around and cause shifting of components.

2. If you move it around alot it never hurts to actually add some form of stabilizers to your longer tubing. Simple wire/thread/fishing line attached from the top of the case to the bottom of the case with some form of connection to the tubing works fine. In all honesty this isnt really required but a lil extra protection.

3. There are lots of ways you can plug a T-line but I personally prefer something like the DD fillport. Once that puppy is close its CLOSED. ;)

On the anti-freeze it pretty much boils down to colors more than anything else. Propylene Glycol is the 'non-toxic' version. Prestone as well as others have this 'environmentally safe' alternative antifreeze. Its ever so slightly less effective than Ethylene Glycol which is the standard anti-freeze. Ethylene Glycol based antifreeze is also the stuff you want to make sure to keep away from your pets.

Most antifreeze is light green in color but some people are looking for variations....

Blue Antifreeze - Pentosin G11 (NOT the G12) is one. This was the antfreeze used in most pre-mid 90's german cars. You can also find it at most VW or Audi parts dealers- you must specify the 'blue' antfreeze however to make sure to get the color you want.

Dont forget some anti-growth. Some people have luck without it but considering what a pain in the keister it is to disassemble a loop to clean it out its well worth putting in some anti-growth in your system. Suggested and easy-to-find additives are Iodine, Humidifier anti-growth additives, waterbed anti-growth additives, etc.

I've never personally had a problem with growth using just antifreeze. I wonder how many people have found this as well. I do remember one time when I was running straight tap water for a while and I did get some growth.

I usually use whatever antifreeze I have in the garage. I have a good stock of automotive stuff because I'm always working on either my own cars, family cars, or my friend's.

I think the chance of growth increases for people who use the propylene glycol based antifreeze simply due to its lower toxicity. It probably doesnt have the same ability to slow/stop growth that ethlyene glycol does. I know I certainly saw some interesting brown crud growing in my res when I used

On the flip side for a couple bucks a person can be danged certain they dont have to worry....especially if a block like a Storm is used where due to the jet impingment its fairly easy to block.

Bugsmasher said:
I think the chance of growth increases for people who use the propylene glycol based antifreeze simply due to its lower toxicity. It probably doesnt have the same ability to slow/stop growth that ethlyene glycol does. I know I certainly saw some interesting brown crud growing in my res when I used

On the flip side for a couple bucks a person can be danged certain they dont have to worry....especially if a block like a Storm is used where due to the jet impingment its fairly easy to block.

Yeah it's definetly a good idea to have somekind of biocide in the loop. I've heard that just a tiny bit of isoprophly alcohol works pretty well.

thanks guys, i think I am gonna have to buy one of those DD fillports. Sucks I will have to pay soo much for shipping though.

edit:

anyone know if the fillports at jab-tech are 1/2'' or 3/8''?

Last edited:
The Danger Den fillport is a good product. I myself own one and haven't had any trouble yet.

-GearShift3r

I have one of the DD Fillports but there are less expensive options out there.

You can get a 1/2 Barb-3/4 Female threaded fitting that you simply screw in a 3/4 male threaded cap to seal it. Most of these parts will be available at any hardware store. The downside is that 'free' end is not anchored to anything but in all honesty thats not really a big problem.

That said I definitely like my DD Fillport as well.

***EDIT***
Send the user jabtek a PM. He is the Jab-Tech guy and should be able to answer any questions fairly quickly.

actually sent them an email, got a reply in about 5 minutes. They are the 1/2'' for anyone interested. I went ahead and picked one up, for half the price of shipping as from DD.

Back