• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

radiator + fans..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ankun

A few minutes ago I bought my soon to be watercooling setup:

D5 pump
Apogee WB
BIP3
3x evercool aluminum fans
10' clearflex 1/2" ID 3/4" OD tubing
DD fillport

Think the BIP3 + the fans will be sufficient for my X2 3800+?

The total came to about $240.. Next thing left to decide is what to run inside my loop?

I'm thinking distilled water and some zerex.. I figured I'd buy that locally rather than pay astronomical prices online for it.

Also, I was being stupid and forgot about fan grills.. anyone know a place I can get some decent wire grills for fairly cheap? I'd rather not pay $.99 a grill then $5 each for shipping :)

Is this setup really that on-the-edge?

I run it at 2.6ghz right now.. will probably keep it around that with this setup. I mostly just bought this for something to do (dremel VX400 coming this christmas.. :)) and to have the ability to have room to grow should I want.

edit: sufficient would be.. better temps than I have now.

30C idle 45C load.

i like distilled water and antifreeze, though zerex should work fine. And yes that rad will work. People cool complete systems with single rads and you have a GREAT pump. Remember the BIP models are made for fans around 80cfm so yea. Not sure if anything used higher would be affective, never owned a BIP series.

Ankun said:
A few minutes ago I bought my soon to be watercooling setup:

D5 pump
Apogee WB
BIP3
3x evercool aluminum fans
10' clearflex 1/2" ID 3/4" OD tubing
DD fillport

Think the BIP3 + the fans will be sufficient for my X2 3800+?

The total came to about $240.. Next thing left to decide is what to run inside my loop?

I'm thinking distilled water and some zerex.. I figured I'd buy that locally rather than pay astronomical prices online for it.

Also, I was being stupid and forgot about fan grills.. anyone know a place I can get some decent wire grills for fairly cheap? I'd rather not pay $.99 a grill then $5 each for shipping :)

i should work fine but if your feeling the need to go for stuff that will work really well get a bix3 and switch those fans out make sure you get 38mm thick ones if you get a bix you dont need the loudest ones but you need to make sure you have a 38 mm because of the pressure it creates over a 25

bix has 2 rows of pipes and bip only has 1 bix is also thicker so takes a little more room

p.s. if you end up getting that setup show me some pics damn those fans are bling blingin

:p I already bought it. Couldnt resist.. I dont know what it is.. my patience is horrible.

It should look pretty decent all setup though. Jab-tech only had the ones with the blue LEDs from what I saw.. so I got those. I plan on bolting the radiator in about 2-3" from the top of my case with the fans above pulling air through the radiator.

About 4" from the front of my case will be where the radiator in/out lines will go.. with a fillport in the middle. I've got a black CM centurion case.. which happens to have a blue LED fan on the front intake.. so it should match fairly well I'd hope.

Speaking of my orientation.. how much do you all think I should lift the radiator off the top of my case?

edit: No blow holes either.. so the radiator intake will be ambient air. It also happens to be positioned 2 ft in front of my AC/heat vent (which is closed in the winter.. my computers are my heaters) So the ambient air should be very cold in most cases (~17C I'd say)

you saying the fans taking air from the case and blowing it out of the case if so you should reverse that

Hmm no.. there is no blowhole on my case. They are sucking ambient air through the radiator and out into the ambient air once again.

oh i thought you where gonna mod the case nvm

ankum that doesnt sound verrry efficent :(

seeing how your cooling the radiator with air that has already been used to cool it b4

Hmm how is that not efficient? Its not like I loop it around in a circle. It draws air from inside the room then blows it back into the room yet again. I'm sure temps will be lower this way than if I was using already heated air from the inside of my case?

I'll be modding the case a tiny bit.. not really though. Just the holes for the bolts along with the 3 tube holes.

edit: like this. The lines indicate airflow. Cool room air is sucked into the radiator then blown out into the room to mix with the cool air that is already in the room.

Attachments

• airflow.JPG
    airflow.JPG
    10.1 KB · Views: 74
That diagram is fine. And the BIPIII will be more than enough, like aiden said you could've used a BIX and been fine.

I went with the BIP3 since they are the same price as the BIX. I was gonna get a BIP2 but DD is sold out.

At only $45 I think it was a pretty decent deal.. hopefully I'll see at least comparable temps to what I'd end up with a heatercore. I pretty much figured it wouldnt take much to get my water to damn-near ambient room temp with only a 3800+ X2 in the loop. Eventually I'm gonna get a gfx card in the loop as well (not yet though.. using a 6200 series card which puts out so little heat that it isnt worth watercooling.. passively cooled atm actually. Though that may change)

edit: I really appreciate all the comments btw :) Hopefully things get here soon.. I've been thinking about watercooling for so long.. now I'm just amazingly anxious.

Back