• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

dirty water

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OvaKilla

Registered
my reservoir was getting a bit low and i made the mistake of using spring water by accident, when i filled the litle it needed and now the water is very cloudy. unless the water in water-cooled rigs gets very cloudy all of a sudden, it is because i didnt use distilled water. is there something i can put in the water so it will be clear again?

omg, dont tell me that! thats honestely not an option. i put maybe a couple table spoons in, jeez. i dont believe they dont make any droplets of medicine to clear up cloudy water.

It's called clairifier and it is used in pools for getting the dirt to sink to the bottom
and then you vacuum it out.

it's like $10 a bottle, and does not work for pcs.

Drain the system or live with the growth until it plugs your system up.

:rolleyes:

How is draining the system not an option? If you don't want to cause excess damage on your kit, you should drain it and clean everything out. Draining it would be a lot easier than breaking the pump and having to buy a new one since you'd have to drain it in that situation anyway.

There is a little saying that goes something like this, "An ounce of prevention is worth more then a pound of cure." I would take care of it now and save yourself the headaches. :)

OvaKilla said:
my reservoir was getting a bit low and i made the mistake of using spring water by accident, when i filled the litle it needed and now the water is very cloudy. unless the water in water-cooled rigs gets very cloudy all of a sudden, it is because i didnt use distilled water. is there something i can put in the water so it will be clear again?

It may have gone cloudy due to air content. Leave it for a while and see if it calms itself down.

WarriorII said:
or live with the growth until it plugs your system up.

:rolleyes:

you make it sound like im just a lazy ba***rd. my pc is less than 6 months old and im forever in debt now, believe me i would luv to tinker with her. the reason why "its not an option" is cuz im a quadaplegic and my hands dont work.

i've used distilled water since i got my pc but once i made a mistake (it wasnt really my mistake, i had to have my brother help me) and accidentally used spring water. the water is blue and was very clear. a couple days later it was just plain cloudy. (before pics) i guess i'll run into problems later on which is a damn shame. i dont know what i could do.

Last edited:
Well then, it's either have someone help you out and drain it and refill it now in half an hour or have your system gunk up and find someone to spend a day breaking down and cleaning the entire system out.

By the way, what's your method of typing?

I saw this cool pointer technology on Discovery Channel where they put a reflective dot on the head of a girl who had cerebral palsy. She could type by turning her head and looking at letters on a screen. IR tracking was used to measure what letters she was pointing at. Originally, they used a pupil tracking system, but that was fairly awkward. I think it has promise though. I digress.

Get someone to clean it out now, before more damage is done.

5|*42 said:
You'd have to use on onboard keyboard (I hate those), or a program that converts voice into text.

nah, i use my pinky knuckle. its very time-consuming but whatever. for the mouse i use Naturalpoint and my pinky knuckle on a real mouse for the buttons. and thank god i can still game using the X-Arcade joystick. its big enuff so i can hit the buttons with the side of my hand and use a big elastic around my wrist and the stick.

well thanks for the help, i dunno what i'll do :(( the water normally doesnt get cloudy, correct? this is my first water-chilla pc.

Filled with bubbles, yes, that's fine. You'd then just need to bleed the air out. Cloudy as if there are particles in it, no. That's bad and should be drained and cleaned out. If you can get someone to drain it for you, refill with distilled only, 10% antifreeze and a couple of drops of iodine so that nothing grows. I'm guessing you don't want to break the whole thing down, so the iodine should take care of anything left over from the drain.

you guys get so out of control about spring and tap water!

"DRAIN IT NOW BEFORE THE BLOCK BECOMES CLOGGED WITH LIVING ORGANISMS"

the cloudyness is normal, It's just the mineral content building up on the walls of everything.

Back