• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water Change?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BioTuned

How often should you change the water in the system? I have a the setup in my sig. I haven't changed it ever since i put it up. One more thing. I want to change my fans. I have Panafolo Ultra High Speed and they are too loud for me. I am looking for something that will cool mildly but not make noice a lot. but really less than the fans i have right now. If you a fan that i can work with let me know. Thanks.

BioTuned said:
How often should you change the water in the system? I have a the setup in my sig. I haven't changed it ever since i put it up. One more thing. I want to change my fans. I have Panafolo Ultra High Speed and they are too loud for me. I am looking for something that will cool mildly but not make noice a lot. but really less than the fans i have right now. If you a fan that i can work with let me know. Thanks.

you dont need new fans, just undervolt them, it is very easy. and you dont have to change your water unless there is growth on the inside or it is starting to get murky.

I used Asetek WaterChill Anti Algae Fluid w/ WaterWetter. Let's just say there was a growth in there and the water did get murky, how would i go about cleaning that stuff off. I had an idea, but i don't know if it is legit. I was thinking about flushing all the water out and fill the system with vinegar and run it for about couple of hours and flush. would that work?

Aidenswarrior said:
you dont need new fans, just undervolt them, it is very easy. and you dont have to change your water unless there is growth on the inside or it is starting to get murky.

You mean to run them on 5V instead of 12V. I run them at the lowest speedon the 12v. I have a fan controller. i don't know how many volts it runs on, but it is less than 12.

Fan controllers are the way to go, imAo.

They allow you to tailor the performance and noise levels where you want them.

As for fluid changes- in a closed system that runs well and has no dissimilar metals (aluminum/copper)- a few years may be ok. Depends on how cloudy and gunked up the coolant is.
With dissimilar metals more care is probably needed as additives like antifreeze can be depleted over time. Depending on your confidence level, dependence on the system I would suggest six months to a year, at least the first time.

If you can even go that long without screwing with the cooling system. :)

I have had a few systems go about a year without being changed and had no problems, but usually I end up swapping parts around in systems more frequently than that.

One point I WILL make is that since additives do deplete with use, if you plan to go for a while with the same coolant, remember to add more additives as needed too.
When topping things off, I use antifreeze half the time and distilled water the other half, especially in mixed-metal systems.

Back