• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Coca cola in the wc system!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Danjul

Registered
Im about to tryout coca cola in my watercooling system but im thinking on if something would happen.. i mean theres alot of sugar in coke and so on.. well my chemistry sucks and so on.. i just have to try it ^^

marry christmas hrhr
:santa:

Carbonation = increased pressure with temps unless the coke is completely flat...at which point it should be thrown out ;) Depending on how 'fresh' the coke is that could spell problems in terms of leaks not to mention 'bleeding' a carbonated liquid would be....interesting.

If I remember correctly Coke is also slightly acidic which would also be a bad thing for corrosion ;)

Suggestions:

Put your WCing system on a diet ;)

but then it should work if i drill some holes on the top of a coca cola light bottle and just let it be for a month to make sure theres no bubbles etc in it and just try ;D

The reason why i wanna try this is because when a guy comes and says omg! what a color on ure watercooling liquid whats that? *urgh* then u answer something like this: man it's coke.. wouldn't that be cool ? ;D

Coke is acidic take some and poor it on your corroded battery terminals in you car and watch how it eats the corrosion off. Sound like a bad idea to put it in a w/c setup.

Dak9767 said:
Coke is acidic take some and poor it on your corroded battery terminals in you car and watch how it eats the corrosion off. Sound like a bad idea to put it in a w/c setup.

but infact, i why should that be a problem? theres no corrosion in my wc system :p i mean it wont eat the metall thru? or? :shrug:

coke disolves nails teeth... etc. unless you want to test to see if it eats through a radiator ;p

otherwise i'd say no way

AkuSokuZan said:
coke disolves nails teeth... etc. unless you want to test to see if it eats through a radiator ;p

otherwise i'd say no way

just saw "mythbusters" a program on Discovery channel and they test myths.. and they tested like 20things with original coke and they also tested the "teeth" thing infact they let the teeth be in the coke for a week and the only thing that happend was that the teeth was deep deep brown.. the best thing to use it on was to polish chrome :p

Danjul said:
but infact, i why should that be a problem? theres no corrosion in my wc system :p i mean it wont eat the metall thru? or? :shrug:

Well...thats the problem...it will eat into the metal ;) Maybe not dramatically but the side products of that corrosion can cause blockages depending on what components you have and how restrictive they are. Its also not good for some water blocks that are fairly thin walled.

Now if you could find a base (opposite of acid) to add to the coke to bring it to a neutral pH value then it might just work. I would still use diet however...

You better do some testing first. Throw some pennies in a glass jar filled with coke, seal it, and leave it for a month. That will tell you how it affects copper blocks. According to Snopes.com it will not dissolve. But it might be very corroded. You might as well try the test with diet as well to see if the sugar content has an effect. All this talk of Coke is making e thirsty.

Bugsmasher said:
Well...thats the problem...it will eat into the metal ;) Maybe not dramatically but the side products of that corrosion can cause blockages depending on what components you have and how restrictive they are. Its also not good for some water blocks that are fairly thin walled.

Now if you could find a base (opposite of acid) to add to the coke to bring it to a neutral pH value then it might just work. I would still use diet however...

great answer on my post :p dunno whats the ph value on coca cola now ? we need a CHEMISTRY MASTER anynone there?
:clap:

I wouldnt worry too much about the specific pH value of coke since that wont give you specific requirements for the amount of base to add to your solution. I would grab a pH kit from an aquarium store that has the additives (acidic and basic) and litmus paper. Then all you would need to do is play with the additives a bit until you came up with a neutral pH value.

On a side note considering all of the stuff they put into Coke I would still consider this a bad idea ;)

I concur that it will be a bad idea. If it won't cause a ton of problems, it will at least corrode your blocks. If you have a couple hundred dollars to throw away and possibly ruin your parts if it leaks, then I say go for it. If you are like me, and don't have money to waste, then I say just stick with water, and hell, just add some brown coloring and say it is coke.

coke is actually basic, so you would need to add an acid to neutralize it. I would think that after a while the syrup would gum up your blocks and what not, but I dunno. Sounds crazy to me, but who knows it could lead to the lowest temps ever possible, lol.

custom90gt said:
coke is actually basic, so you would need to add an acid to neutralize it. I would think that after a while the syrup would gum up your blocks and what not, but I dunno. Sounds crazy to me, but who knows it could lead to the lowest temps ever possible, lol.

wrong. coke is acidic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coca-Cola

it has a pH level of 2.5 (right between vinegar and gastric acid)

Coke is corrosive, carbonated=pressure=leaks, and that sugar will destroy your pump and cause clogs. This is fine for a just for fun thing, but not a long term solution.

Also a note... leaving coke out for a month will not be pretty. I once forgot a can for about a week and a half and it was mostly solid/alive when I found it.

Back