• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Motherboard swap and windows

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

happyangryhappy

Registered
I am about to buy a new motherboard and better ram, however I first wanted to make sure that my copy of windows xp home edition (oem from newegg) will work when I reinstall it. Is a new mobo concidered a new system?

It should work. To clarify you might have to do a repair install to get it to boot. You will be better off just to do a clean install to get rid of all the old drivers.

I definately will reformat and do a clean install, I just wanted to make sure I could activate it as usual and not have to buy a new copy. Thanks alot.

happyangryhappy said:
I definately will reformat and do a clean install, I just wanted to make sure I could activate it as usual and not have to buy a new copy. Thanks alot.

It will probably ask you to activate and may not let you use the same key, however since you're just putting in a new mobo, call M$ and tell them that, shouldn't be a problem, they will give you a new key.

Back