• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lots of questions (searched already)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

custom90gt

Hey guys,
I am pretty set on doing a WCing setup (sounds like a blast to me), but I have a few questions for you.
1. Im neverous about the pump going out and my system dieing, does this happen often?
2. Are there any automatic shutoffs for the computer if the pump does go off (besides temp monitoring stuff). If not, does the pump have a speed sensing wire, if it does I may try to make an LCD monitoring device in the front bezel that would turn off the computer if the speed was less than a certain rpm.
3. I'm assuming the pump plugs into the PSU, but I know where assumptions get you.
4. The maze4gpu block says it doesnt work on AIW cards, but my x800pro is one, will it fit?
5. Out of shear curiousity, can you take the cpu block off to reapply AS5 without draining the system?
6. Are there any chipset blocks that will fit on a DFI ultra-d? (haven't searched for that answer yet, just thought of the question)
7. Which fans would you reccomend for a blackice pro 2? I would like something quiet that wont leave me with high temps (yes I know we all want our cake and to eat it too).
8. Finally, what do you guys think of the following components?
cpu - swiftech 6002-64
gpu - maze4gpu
pump - Swiftech MCP655
radiator - blackice pro 2
tubing - MasterKleer 7/16" ID
Misc - DangerDen fillport, some Ts, HydrX

Thats all the Q's I have for now, thanks for taking the time to read my lenghty post. Oh and please post any comments/concerns that you have for me, I'm very interested in everyones opinions.

custom90gt said:
Hey guys,
I am pretty set on doing a WCing setup (sounds like a blast to me), but I have a few questions for you.
1. Im neverous about the pump going out and my system dieing, does this happen often?
2. Are there any automatic shutoffs for the computer if the pump does go off (besides temp monitoring stuff). If not, does the pump have a speed sensing wire, if it does I may try to make an LCD monitoring device in the front bezel that would turn off the computer if the speed was less than a certain rpm.
3. I'm assuming the pump plugs into the PSU, but I know where assumptions get you.
4. The maze4gpu block says it doesnt work on AIW cards, but my x800pro is one, will it fit?
5. Out of shear curiousity, can you take the cpu block off to reapply AS5 without draining the system?
6. Are there any chipset blocks that will fit on a DFI ultra-d? (haven't searched for that answer yet, just thought of the question)
7. Which fans would you reccomend for a blackice pro 2? I would like something quiet that wont leave me with high temps (yes I know we all want our cake and to eat it too).
8. Finally, what do you guys think of the following components?
cpu - swiftech 6002-64
gpu - maze4gpu
pump - Swiftech MCP655
radiator - blackice pro 2
tubing - MasterKleer 7/16" ID
Misc - DangerDen fillport, some Ts, HydrX

Thats all the Q's I have for now, thanks for taking the time to read my lenghty post. Oh and please post any comments/concerns that you have for me, I'm very interested in everyones opinions.

1. A good pump has a life span of ... 100,000 hrs. http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=369416

2. Auto Temp shut down in BIOS 60C
3. Some pumps plug into the PS, other plug right into the wall,
or if you're electronically inclined, you convert it wall to PS.
4. Donno. :shrug:
5. Yes, most of the time. Depending on how the WB is mounted to the CPU.
(usually, yes)
6. Read this thread. :) http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=424450&page=1&pp=30
7. 120mm X 25mm fans @ 7v or 12v (My 120 is 108cfm @ 12v & not a 25mm)
8. Looks like it's gonna be a pretty good system build ya got there. :thup:

WII
:attn:

I am going to do the bios thing, but I wasn't sure if there was another saftey percaution I could take, maybe I will make the LCD front mount with a temp sensor and auto off switch (probably be in the mechatronics lab over break).
Is there any advantage of plugging the pump directly into the wall? Asside from taking load off the psu?
You're thread was awsome on the construction of the case, I've been wanted to do something like that in the machining lab at school but havent had time. I think if you powder coated or anodized (sp.) the front red it would look sharp. I saw you put an iceburg 4 on your northbridge, I purchased a similar cooler to do that, but wasn't sure if there was a waterblock that would fit.
I am still not sure which fans I should get (all though I knew which size to look for).
Thanks for the quick reply man.

Senater_Cache said:
Whats not to be understood by that statement.? If its an AIW then I'd bet NO

well thanks for the extra attitude at the end, I'm not sure i would have understood "no". I should have made myself clearer in the question however. Dangerden says "except most AIW versions," I do not own an "AIW" card, but the referance design is the same. I was just curious if anyone had tried it on a x800pro pci-e card that happens to have the AIW connector (I believe they all do).

custom90gt said:
I am going to do the bios thing, but I wasn't sure if there was another saftey percaution I could take, maybe I will make the LCD front mount with a temp sensor and auto off switch (probably be in the mechatronics lab over break).
Is there any advantage of plugging the pump directly into the wall? Asside from taking load off the psu?
You're thread was awsome on the construction of the case, I've been wanted to do something like that in the machining lab at school but havent had time. I think if you powder coated or anodized (sp.) the front red it would look sharp. I saw you put an iceburg 4 on your northbridge, I purchased a similar cooler to do that, but wasn't sure if there was a waterblock that would fit.
I am still not sure which fans I should get (all though I knew which size to look for).
Thanks for the quick reply man.

There is 120v pumps like the ehiems, mag3 etc and there is 12v pumps like the mcp350, mcp600 mcp655 c-systems MAG etc.

The 12v ones go to the PSU the 120v ones go to the wall.....

Each have their advantages, I will let you search about each one, all are good pumps. Dont worry too much about the pumps reliability you are much more likely to mess up the tubbing and leak stuff, rofl. Plus you can design a system that will still run if the pump stops, look on overclockers.com for an article by me.

custom90gt said:
well thanks for the extra attitude at the end, I'm not sure i would have understood "no". I should have made myself clearer in the question however. Dangerden says "except most AIW versions," ** shouldve wrote this in your initial post not leaving out "most" I do not own an "AIW" card, but the referance design is the same. I was just curious if anyone had tried it on a x800pro pci-e card that happens to have the AIW connector (I believe they all do).

Wasnt any attitude in my post man. The reason I Capped "no" was so that you can get a clear answer out of my post. Dont be so sensitive.
For the Record, AIW means All in wonder. and incorporates a rather large TV-tuner on the top front of the card. The reason they say MOST is because newer versions have smaller non-complicating tuners.
If your card is not AIW then you will not have the problem. And no not all PCIe Pro cards have it, only the AIW. I think you are confusing AIW and VIVO.

Senater_Cache said:
Wasnt any attitude in my post man. The reason I Capped "no" was so that you can get a clear answer out of my post. Dont be so sensitive.
For the Record, AIW means All in wonder. and incorporates a rather large TV-tuner on the top front of the card. The reason they say MOST is because newer versions have smaller non-complicating tuners.
If your card is not AIW then you will not have the problem. And no not all PCIe Pro cards have it, only the AIW. I think you are confusing AIW and VIVO.

You are right, for some reason I was thinking VIVO and not about the tuner itself. Spending far too many hours in the engineering labs lately :( . Thanks for waking me up, lol.

Hi there!

Sounds similar to the config I am going for atm, but I have gone for a Swiftech STORM CPU block... also, I am getting the maze4 GPU block and same pump, but I'll be going for 1/2" piping - is there a reason you are going 7/16" ?

custom90gt said:
Look at using a combination of MBM5 and a program called ShutDownNow.

MrNoClue said:
Hi there!

Sounds similar to the config I am going for atm, but I have gone for a Swiftech STORM CPU block... also, I am getting the maze4 GPU block and same pump, but I'll be going for 1/2" piping - is there a reason you are going 7/16" ?

I really want to do the storm block, but dont have the extra 30 bucks... I am using 7/16" since you can heat up the end and then stretch it over the barbs and when it cools it has less chance of leaking (still using clamps of course).

billb,
I will look into ShutDownNow, thanks.

custom90gt said:
I really want to do the storm block, but dont have the extra 30 bucks... I am using 7/16" since you can heat up the end and then stretch it over the barbs and when it cools it has less chance of leaking (still using clamps of course).

Ahh ok - I'll be using 1/2" for the flow but being extra careful with the clamps :santa2:

My advice. Pick an eheim pump. either the 1250 or innovatek HPPS. The HPPS rocks because it ramps the pump up slowly and controls the voltage based on pressure. Pretty smart. It's an eheim pump with an innovatek control. However, it's very expensive. I have heard of some people having problems with the swiftech pumps, but I've never heard of an eheim dying or leaking. Just my opinion.

ls7corvete said:
Plus you can design a system that will still run if the pump stops, look on overclockers.com for an article by me.
Coudl you please post a link? It looks like there's well over 100 articals under water cooling listed HERE and I don't see any by "ls7corvete".

datura3 said:
I have heard of some people having problems with the swiftech pumps, but I've never heard of an eheim dying or leaking. Just my opinion.
I have never heard of any problems with the Laing line of pumps introduced into the WC market. Please do show me these claims.
Keep in mind that the D5 has a "throttle" but needs manual adjusting.
Also, the Laing pumps all have no moving parts whatsoever and are guaranteed for 50,000hrs

datura3 said:
My advice. Pick an eheim pump. either the 1250 or innovatek HPPS. The HPPS rocks because it ramps the pump up slowly and controls the voltage based on pressure. Pretty smart. It's an eheim pump with an innovatek control. However, it's very expensive. I have heard of some people having problems with the swiftech pumps, but I've never heard of an eheim dying or leaking. Just my opinion.

I'll look into that, I dont have too much to spend so I may do the 1250. Anyone else have any suggestions for me? I'd like to order this stuff friday-saturday so it can be here by the time I am done with finals.

I'd just like to add that chipset WCing is usually considered unnessesary (for A64 that is), reason being active air should do the job just fine, and the chipset isn't very important to cool anymore on A64 because the memory controller isn't on it anymore.

The chipset WBs also tend to be very restrictive, which is something you don't want.

Senater_Cache said:
I say go for the D5 (swiftech mcp655 or Danger den 12v)

thats what im going to do, I just havent found any articles about problems with the mcp655 pumps.

thanks for the responces guys, I think im going to order here in a few.

Back