• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Radiator and GPU block for a SFF rig

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sir_pyro

Radiator question for a SFF rig

Ok, I’m working on building my second water cooled rig and need some advice. I go into more detail below, but I’d like an opinion on 120mm radiators. My other rig is an older Koolance system (water cooling for dummies!), but I have a lot of experience making Pneumatic cannons so building my next system from scratch should be a nice challenge.

The plan so far is to use a Chenming MATX-118 (same as a X-Qpack), and put a quiet but well performing water-cooling setup in it. The major heat producing components are going to be an x2 3800+ or Opty 165, on a Biostar Tforce, with a 6800GT. Over clocking wise (if the parts allow it), I’m hoping for 2.4ghz on the CPU and 430+mhz on the GPU. So, the liquid cooling setup needs to be able to handle 225 watts or so (I think).

Here’s what I have picked out for the system’s water-cooling components so far:
Swiftech Apogee
Swiftech MCP350 (Laing DDC) w/ ½” intake mod
Swiftech MCRES-Micro
3/8” ID, ½” OD tubing throughout, except between res. and pump were I want ½ ID.
GPU block (tossup between two, MAZE4 or MCW55)
120MM rad (unknown, need suggestions)
120mm fan: Yate Loon (47cfm), Vantec Stealth (53cfm), or some other (suggestions?).
Real fan controller later on, but a little Zalman one now.

Goals for the system:
With a room temperature of 20c, a 40c Max CPU temperature, 45c max GPU temperature, and quieter then a Zalman CNPS7000, artic cooling NV silencer, and a Silenx 120mm fan in the same system.

Ok, so now I need advice. First off, the radiator: I cant really find much info comparing the different models! So, I need a suggestion or two on single 120mm radiators that will meet my cooling and noise requirements. Price is not a big deal, just under $50 preferably and this is going to be mounted right outside the rear fan mount.

Second, I’m undecided between the Swiftech MCW55 and the Danger Den Acetal Maze4 for cooling my GPU. Any advantage flow, cooling, mounting, or “can fit another card in next to it” wise between them?
Edit: Never mind that part. I was able to find the info I needed. It'll probably be the MCW55 if the setup is just like this, or the Maze 4 (because of the lower pressure drop) if I decide I may want to add a second high flow 80mm radiator up front down the line... Also the MCW55 wont get in the way of memory heatsyncs.

Tanks for any assistance!

Last edited:
Should work well. The low noise fan may not be enough though. Be sure and feed the pump w/1/2".

Back