• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A few more w/c questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dak9767

My rad will be in tomorrow then I start modding the case and installing my w/c setup. I just have a couple of last questions.

1. Should I run the tubing: pump->cpu->gpu's->rad->pump or pump->rad->cpu->gpu's->pump which will yield the best cooling?
2. I seen here to prime the pump you can jump it to have the pump run. Exactly what needs to be jumped to get the pump working with out turning the PC on or will something like a 12v lantern battery work?

Thanks for any help.
John

1. pump->rad->cpu->gpu's->pump: I run mine like this. It seems to work well. Though, I hear that if you have a Storm it's best to run it the other way you mentioned. This is only what I've heard though.

2. Make sure the power supply is off and unplugged. Connect the Green wire in the ATX power connector to any Black wire (I usually use the one right next to the green wire.) with a paper clip or something metal. Plug it in and turn on the power switch in the back.

Aidenswarrior said:
or you can buy an AT powersupply from compusa for about $20, that is what i did instead of risking blowing up my $120 powersupply
Bah, that's $19.99 more than it cost me to hotwire my Powerstream.

If you want to run just a pump, unplug power supply from everything except pump. On the 20 or 24 pin motherboard connector if you look through the wires you see a green one. Connect green wire with black one next it. Use a paper clip, piece of wire, anything that's conductive. This will turn on just psu.

I beileve in laws of gravity. If something goes up, it must goes get down. So for my watercooling if I have waterpump on the bottom I connect water pump to the higest point which either is radiator or cpu block. My next setup will be pump, cpu, rad, gpu, reservior, pump or pump, rad, cpu, gpu, res, pump

A $20 investment isn't nothing to me. Beats taking a chance on frying a $230 PSU. Aidenswarrior with the AT PSU do I just plug in the pump and turn the PSU on and off to circulate the water and to prime the pump?

Dak9767 said:
A $20 investment isn't nothing to me. Beats taking a chance on frying a $230 PSU. Aidenswarrior with the AT PSU do I just plug in the pump and turn the PSU on and off to circulate the water and to prime the pump?

the powersupply has like a button attached to a wire that you press to start up the powersupply. It just plugs in the wall and you just use that button to turn it on and off. No jumping involved. It just starts right up.

Back