• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SwiftTech H2O Apex "Ultra" WC Kit - opinions?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

drsomewhat

Hey all,

I'm looking to set up a new rig this winter break, so far im looking at:

ASUS A8N-SLI Premium
AMD x2 3800+
2x1gb ram (need an opinion here too, good for o/c, and price effective)
2x HITACHI Deskstar 7K80 SATA2
eVGA Geforce 7800GT model "256-P2-N518"
a dual layer dvd burner
Antec TRUEPOWERII TPII-550 550W Power Supply
Case (need an opinion here, preferably a mid-tower and quiet. but look at my cooling solution first.)

I'm open to suggestions on virtually any part, especially the PSU, case, memory, and CPU.

Now, the cooling im looking at is the H20-220 Apex ULTRA . I like the RadBox design, and I think that an external rad will be nice. I can cut the holes for the tubing easily, ive done this stuff before. Has anyone had any experience with this kit? The previous kit was rated highly on overclockers, but just looking for a second opinion.

Thanks all!

The components used in that kit are top notch. You will be very happy with the results, I imagine.

Depending on your budget, I would look at the Lian Li 1200 series of cases, the Cooler Master Stacker (in which you could fit the radiator internally, without any modifications) for the expensive options. Themaltake makes some less-expensive cases that are popular around here as well, many that are similar to Cooler Master designs.

Looks like a great system to me, enjoy your build.

alright great to have these responses

Now, im just curious about the ram and the PSU - does anyone sugges a different PSU? And what kind of ram should i use if i want to aggressively overclock my cpu?

I can't really comment on the RAM as I am not very knowledgeable in that department, but I think the PSU looks pretty good. I've heard some good things about that one, but personally I'm looking into a OCZ Powerstream 520W.

I'll also make a comment about the newer kit. With the Dual core the Apogee should treat you very well as it seems to like the large surface areas more than storm did, and it has pretty good performance from what I've heard so far.

drsomewhat said:
still looking for a case... you think an antec super lanboywill fit the rad if attached to the outside of the case?

The Super Lanboy won't work the way it's intended to be set-up. But as you can see from my pics, it WILL work.

img_7752small.jpg

img_7755small.jpg

Another thing about the Super Lanboy....if you intend on using the carrying strap then the way I have the radiator set up is really the only feasable solution.

hey coustang, nice setup - can i get a closer view of how you got the tubes out the back to the rad? how does the rad's cooling hold up when its upside down?

also, i like the wiring job, i hardly see any loose wires

If you're not a DIY type of guy that's an excellent kit, but you could put together a better kit for half the price if you want to work with it. 260 bucks is steep, unless you want the advantange of being bolt on.

Something like:

Swiftech Block
Any Pump that meets your head and flow
Tubing
77' Boneville heater core (20 bucks at Autozone)
2 x 120 mm fans

etc..

ive already ordered the kit, and am quite impressed by its ratings, so now the real question is which case is good for the external rad, as i intend on installing it on the back of the new case.

edit: i mean, i understand the whole DIY stuff with watercooling, ive done it with my current rig, and im not too interested in chopping up a new case (other than a few holes for tubing for the rad) Thats why this kit truely appealed to me - i'd be able to stick the pump onto the case rather than drill for screw holes, and the rad can rest on the outside without having to remove drive bays, etc, or making extensive cuts.

drsomewhat said:
hey coustang, nice setup - can i get a closer view of how you got the tubes out the back to the rad? how does the rad's cooling hold up when its upside down?

also, i like the wiring job, i hardly see any loose wires

Thanks!

I'll get a couple more pics for ya soon. AFAIK, the orientation of the Radiator doesn't really affect the cooling...Just make sure you get all the air out of the radiator.

luckily, i ordered all my parts but forgot to order the case. I think i might just go to a microcenter near my home and check out which case will work the easiest with the radbox. but keep those pics coming, coustang, im still highly considering the super lanboy for its price and size.

how bout a sonata version 2? you think that'd be good too? i'm just weighing my options, and i'd really like to keep away from full tower atx cases for this setup.

also, coustang, how does the mounting for the pump look? does the adhesive neoprene pad seem good enough, or does it have to be screwed down?

drsomewhat said:
also, coustang, how does the mounting for the pump look? does the adhesive neoprene pad seem good enough, or does it have to be screwed down?

To tell you the truth, I used the bolts and only used the pad as a buffer. I stuck it to the pump, but didn't take the other sticky side off.

But as far as I could tell, that mofo is STICKY!

thanks for the new pics coustang! just for my information, was that gap between the expansion slots and the hole you cut for your tubing always there? you know, the one that spans from the top of your expansion slots on the case to the bottom?

There's actually a little sliding peice of aluminum that normally goes there, it slides side to side via the horizontal slot under the left hose and another one higher up. So yes, it was there from the beginning.

Back