• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1/2 inch barbs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nachosyumm

I was measuring the inner diamater of some of my standard brass 1/2 inch barbs, and it seemed to be around 3/8. First of all, is this the id of most 1/2 barbs?

If so, wouldn't the system only be as effective as the smallest diameter piece. Just curious.

The ID of the barbs will be smaller than that of the tubing, or you would never get the tubing on. Hell, I think it's hard enough as is now.

The 1/2 tubing still helps, as every section contributes to flow resistance, so even having the extra restriction of the smaller barb doesn't eliminate the advantages of the larger tubing.

You can always use push-fit connectors instead of barbs, which is what I do (although not for flow reasons).

nachosyumm said:
I was measuring the inner diamater of some of my standard brass 1/2 inch barbs, and it seemed to be around 3/8. First of all, is this the id of most 1/2 barbs?

If so, wouldn't the system only be as effective as the smallest diameter piece. Just curious.
1/2" barbs come in 1/2" ID or 1/2" OD...guess which you got! Any size ID/OD barbs are avalable with any thread...you just have to hunt them down.

When you shop for barbs, if it says 1/2", it means 1/2"OD. A good pump will push through the smaller inlet of the barbs. I however use 5/8" barbs with 1/2" tubing since 5/8" barbs have a 1/2"ID.

arg, just when i thought i had my system figured out this new factor has been brought in.

What is the Id of the barbs on the storm and maze 4?

Yikes, you guys must really have to pust to get your tubing over those barbs. I need to heat the tubing just to get it over my regular 1/2 OD barbs.

The maze 4 had 1/2 OD barbs. I don't know about the storm, but the barbs are easily removable on that block, so you could change them if you wanted to. I could be wrong, but I doubt you will see any difference between the barbs, as far as performance is concerned.

Where I have really noticed a difference is in my res inlets and outlets, and when in the past I have had to use a 90 degree elbow. The 5/8" fittings on my res really seem to make a difference vs using 1/2"OD (3/8"iD) fittings. I found some 3/4" 90 degree fittings at Lowe's in the irrigation fittings section that are copper and actually measure 5/8"OD 1/2"ID. It of course is best to avoid elbows if possible, but sometimes using an elbow makes sense.

5/8"OD is not that hard to get 1/2"ID hose into. A little hot water and some dishsoap does the trick every time. The brass fittings are easier to get tubing on to than the plastic ones.

nachosyumm said:
arg, just when i thought i had my system figured out this new factor has been brought in.

What is the Id of the barbs on the storm and maze 4?
Storm ships with 3/8" OD and 1/2" OD barbs. Maze 4 Ships with 1/2" barbs That's the (NV northbridge block). I have both sitting in front of me. DD's site says the Danger Den MAZE4GPU-SLI blocks ship with both 1/2" OD amd 3/8" OD barbs.

A little about these barbs:
*The DD barbs are "high Flow" barbs...the DD 1/2" barbs appear to be a few thousandths larger ID than the Storm Barbs. Not in my shop so i can't measure.
*The DD barbs are about 1-1/4" tall (overall) and Storm barbs are 1-7/8" tall (overall).
*The DD barbs are nickel plated brass, the storm barbs are black plastic.
*The Storm barbs are 1/4" NPSM thread, I don't know the thread on the DD barbs, but it is NOT the same (appears larger).

billb said:
A little about these barbs:
*The DD barbs are "high Flow" barbs...the DD 1/2" barbs appear to be a few thousandths larger ID than the Storm Barbs. Not in my shop so i can't measure. According to my (admittedly crappy) digital mike, the "Hi-flo" barbs are just a titch over .400.
*The DD barbs are about 1-1/4" tall (overall) and Storm barbs are 1-7/8" tall (overall).
*The DD barbs are nickel plated brass, the storm barbs are black plastic.
*The Storm barbs are 1/4" NPSM thread, I don't know the thread on the DD barbs, but it is NOT the same (appears larger).
The DD barbs are 9/16"x18 standard (straight) thread.

i got some 5/8 od 1/2 id barbs. The tubing actually goes on them somewhat easily as long as the wall is equal to or less than 1/8. Otherwise they are extremely hard to get the tubing on.

Thanks for clarifying that for me.

Back