• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thread Idea-Comprehensive Program Tutorials

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ZhengHe

I was thinking maybe it might be a good idea to make a thread listing good tutorials for all manner of common programs, but since it would be a huge undertaking I'd first like to ask what you all think. Good idea or bad idea? Would you read it and use it or would I just be wasting my time?

I think its a good idea, someone could look at the thread and find helpful info on a program they don't use very often. I would use it, I am not very familiar with some basic apps, so why not?

Ok, anyone else who might find it helpful. If I get five people I'll do it.

ZhengHe said:
I was thinking maybe it might be a good idea to make a thread listing good tutorials for all manner of common programs, but since it would be a huge undertaking I'd first like to ask what you all think. Good idea or bad idea? Would you read it and use it or would I just be wasting my time?

To be honest, I think you have good intentions, but there really is no need for it, because it would be way too big. If someone needs help, I'd just recommend that they continue what we have done since OCF was formed, which is: search google, ask people, and then if all else fails...create a thread.

I must agree, I think it would be really cool of you to do, though it would be way to long to ever actaully use. I mean they would have to use a search function just to find their app. Plus there is no way you could go in depth enough about each app to make it worth while.

Sad to say you're both right. It would be grossly impractical, though I wonder if I specified a group of programs, say image-viewers to list tutorials on if would be any more practical or by the same token create a vast array of threads for popular programs or program categories?

Any thoughts?

I actually like this idea, though you may have to break up into multiple posts.

Or you could just have one messy thread (like this one) where everyone posts their links etc... and some (very motivated) individual organizes them and puts them into a nice format (either alphabetically or by app. type).

I like the idea, but what I have seen done that works at other forums I visit is to either make a webpage with with tutorials categorized by Genre>Program>Tutorial Type or to make a single root thread with links to seperate threads for each program.
Otherwise, sometime around the 10th to 20th page, a single thread becomes way too difficult to navigate.

ZhengHe said:
Sad to say you're both right. It would be grossly impractical, though I wonder if I specified a group of programs, say image-viewers to list tutorials on if would be any more practical or by the same token create a vast array of threads for popular programs or program categories?

Any thoughts?

Hmm...why don't you focus on one thing people are having trouble with. For example, if you see an overwhelming amount of people looking for video editing software (P.S. LOTS of 'em), and then start a tutorial on say...Zweistein [http://www.thugsatbay.com/tab/?q=zweistein]. That is just my personal idea, and maybe you could impliment it into your plan...

Back