• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

backing up dvd's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jmh547

I recently started backing up dvd's for myself and friends so they dont have to worry about ppl stealing them and such in the dorms. i was wondering if there are any programs out there that are 1. free and 2. combine the decoder and shrinker in one. currently i use "dvd decrypter" and "dvd shrink"

yes but the new dvds are encrypted. dvdshrink will rip and encode however i will not decrypt the dvd

So what exactly are you trying to do? Backup your DVD's to the computer in a media format, or make an .iso and burn it to another disk? If you're trying to transfer them to your computer use DVD Decrypter, since it strips the DVD of it's encryption and create a file you can encode. I know you said just one program, but this is pretty easy and it takes two programs. Once you create the file, use VirtualDubMod to encode the file using XviD, DivX, or some other codec of your choice, however I've found XviD to be the best compressor while keeping the original quality.

DVD shrink will also decrypt as well. I use it all the time and have never had a problem with a movie that was encrypted.

Some of the newer DVDs have encryption that will mess with the drives or wont work at all, especially if encrypted by SONY. look at the back of the DVD case, if it claims to be encrypted and sony/bmg are associated-forget it. some of the others can be 'backed up'

OC/ingmaddog said:
So what exactly are you trying to do? Backup your DVD's to the computer in a media format, or make an .iso and burn it to another disk? If you're trying to transfer them to your computer use DVD Decrypter, since it strips the DVD of it's encryption and create a file you can encode. I know you said just one program, but this is pretty easy and it takes two programs. Once you create the file, use VirtualDubMod to encode the file using XviD, DivX, or some other codec of your choice, however I've found XviD to be the best compressor while keeping the original quality.

He is making backup copys to DVD media. Make a copy, play the copy, store the original. DvdShrink does well for this and has a Nero plugin to burn, after the decode/decrypt. I use it all the time. You do need this installed it's free http://www.dvd43.com/
When that fails I have other alternatives.

Last edited:
Back