• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sounds like my Hydor L30 is about to crap out on me

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

goodolarchie

I bought a Hydor L30 from gungeek this summer off these forums, not that he has anything to do with it but the pump is making a loud rattling noise now. It still seems to be pumping but the noise has gotten louder over the past few days. I don't want to decommission my system just to drain out all the coolant to check it out quite yet... I have my setup kind of built around this pump's dimensions and rubber sticky feet (it hangs upside down from the PSU support crossmember), looks like I'm in the market for a new one. Does anyone know how much bigger the L35 is in dimensions? (from feet to outlet barb, from inlet barb to back end).
This noise is going to drive me nuts soon.

The noise is probably a broken impeller. My L40II had a broken impeller and I contacted the US Hydor email, and they sent me a new impeller.

Bryan D.

You're probably right. Do you still have hydor's email address? I tried looking it up on their .it site and didn't find much. How long did it take for them to get it to you? I may just split for a D5 or MCP655. I'm not rich but I want something that works. My eheim is just a bit too big I think.

I honestly suggest purchasing a real D5/MCP350 or any of the 12v sort because it is simply just convienent. I now own a MCP-655 but have not installed it yet. The thing is small, powerful, and again convienent.

It was quite a while for the impeller to get to me... it does need to be imported from Italy I think... but it got to me nonetheless.
Anyway, I suggest you contact this one first:

[email protected]

Then if they do not respond, go crazy by emailing their headquarters in Europe! Nothing gets done faster than a supplier with HQ breathing down their necks.

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

Bryan D.

My L30 occaisonaly makes a growly noise, the impeller is fine, probably just a little loose from use over time. Switching my pump on and off for a sec usually fixes it. If your noise is more consistent, then i would look for a replacement or something

My Hydor L30 was making a ton of noise about a year ago and I saw a guide on these forums to simply fix the impeller with some JB weld.

There is basically a little bearing that is attached to the shaft that can move back and forth on the shaft. Just mix up a little bit of JB's and attach the bearing to end of the shaft (furthest away from the impeller) and your pump should be silent again.

After I did this the only way I knew my pump was running was by touching it and feeling it vibrate slightly. Has been going strong for a year plus since the fix (plus I bought it used).

Ad Rock said:
My Hydor L30 was making a ton of noise about a year ago and I saw a guide on these forums to simply fix the impeller with some JB weld.

There is basically a little bearing that is attached to the shaft that can move back and forth on the shaft. Just mix up a little bit of JB's and attach the bearing to end of the shaft (furthest away from the impeller) and your pump should be silent again.

Do you have pics by any chance? I have seen the mod for the ViaAqua1300 but the impeller on the L40II is way different.

Thanks,
Bryan D.

Well I unplugged the pump and will take a look at it in the next few days after finals when I have time to drain the system. The good news is my cpu is only at 37*C, the bad news is it used to be 20*C...

to the OP

the L35 uses the same housing as the L30 . the only diference in the pump is its unidirectional rotation because of the impellor design

Back