• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which of these pumps is the better?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ocZer

Norway - subzero watercooling in winter :D
I am building a new water setup for my opteron rig, and I am unsure of which pump to get. Since my options are limited I have compiled a list of wich ones are available to me, and the setup I am going for.

Pumps:
Swiftech MCP350
Alphacool AP1500
Alphacool Laing DDC 12V PRO (same as MCP350 i think)
Eheim 1046 - 1048 - 1250 - 1001
Danger den DD12V-D4
Hydor selts L20II - L30II
C-Systems CSP 750 Mark II 12v DC Pump

Rest of the setup:
Storm G4
Danger Den maze4 chipset
Black Ice pro 2

I might add a GPU cooler but not sure about that. I am using a 1048 in my current rig, and I am very happy with it. It is very silent, which is important to me. I was thinking of maybe using the 1250 in this setup. The entire system will be mounted internally in a CM stacker case wich I already have.

Of those pumps, d4 - mcp350 and then perhaps a eheim. It would be best if you could geta d5, maybe you could special order one?
the d4 is very similar, but the d5 was reworked slightly to make it less noisy. if noise isnt a issue for you then the d4 would be the strongest for your given setup.
I have a csystems in mine. its reasonably quiet, kind of sounds like a hard drive.

if oyu have the room in your case then i would vertically mount the ehiem 1250 and use it over any of the others ( assuming you want to also use a relay to turn on and off)

JMO but the ehiem 1250 is the most reliable of them. only thing to watch is that you dont starve the inlet. hence vertical mounting and have a res above it

I was initially going for the 1250. In my other rig I made a reservoir out of small tupperware box that cost me about 3€ and used Epoxy to glue 2x 1/2" barbs at the bottom. i have managed to get really high flowrates with a 1048. I also made a relay to shut of my pump with the PSU, but I dont think I need cus it's on 24/7 anyway. Been running it for more than 2 years now. I dont mind the extra work. I want what si the most reliable and silent one to go with that setup.

OMG!!! Have you seen the size on that 1260. It's huge!! How could anybody be running that monster in a computer. Thanks for the link on the pump comparison. I have made up my mind. I will be getting a 1250. It seems to me that it will run quieter with acceptable flowrate, and it has good reliabilty. It's also much easier to buy one here than having to buy it abroad.

Back