• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FireFox 1.5 - memory leaks - still

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jajmon

I started FF this am ~8am and have had it open all day with as many as 6 tabs open. I have 3 open right now and it is taking ~160mb of ram, when it started out with ~23mb on a blank tab. This was an issue before, and they concentrated their efforts on security. Looks like they still need to address the memory issue.

jajmon said:
I started FF this am ~8am and have had it open all day with as many as 6 tabs open. I have 3 open right now and it is taking ~160mb of ram, when it started out with ~23mb on a blank tab. This was an issue before, and they concentrated their efforts on security. Looks like they still need to address the memory issue.

Do u have prefetching on? Is it the offical 1.5 version?

jajmon said:
Official version - windows. FF is in my prefetch folder

Yeah it could be the prefetch building up, that's what I've suspected w/ my computer, since I know I still have stuff of FF in the memory after I close FF, but it may not be the cause, but check that out anyway.

Prefetch for FF is 80k - good/bad - I dunno. But I wouldn't think prefetch is the issue, vs the app itself. I fired up FF ~ 2hrs ago (after it was consuming 159mb after 12 hours), with only 2 tabs open, OCForums and gmail, it was ~34mb then. Now it's at 51mb, and I've only been active in OCForums, not even going to the gmail tab.

On a related note. FF 1.5 still has an issue that affects me. After playing a Yahoo game, they use Java, I get artifacts at this site. Java is latest versrion (jusched on). Example would be pull down menus that are horizontally abbreviated. Solution is to kill FF using Task Manager.

I have found that memory leaks are caused by flash plugin, and there are two solutions, first is to uninstall flash plugin and the other is to add a line to the firefox config, like this:

)Run about:config
2)Right click any line to bring up a sub-menu
3)Choose new>"integer"
4)paste this: browser.cache.memory.capacity
5)Confirm
6)Specify the amount in kb - I use 50000

UPDATE: This tweak won't stop memory leak, but it will force firefox to use less memory.

I have memory leaks, daily crashes, and now, a complete refuesal to run any kind of WMV, Quicktime movie, Flash, Java, anything of the sort, I have tried everything that I can think of, it just seems that firefox effed up this release imo.

I find that leaving both firefox or opera open for long periods of time results in them using more ram. after simply closing the app and restarting it the usage appears to be much better.

still not a 'fix', but that's just what I do...

can anyone give me a link to the 1.7 prerelease(?)?i had it and "upgraded" to the official 1.5 and now no movies work and nothing else is fixed

ofp plater said:
can anyone give me a link to the 1.7 prerelease(?)?i had it and "upgraded" to the official 1.5 and now no movies work and nothing else is fixed

there's a 1.6 alpha build floating around....try the developers section of the mozilla site.

dave

I haven't noticed any problems with my FF1.5 installation. Did you do a completely clean install including your applications data FF folder?

Actually, I need to kill it after I close the last window. Sometimes I get the steadily increasing CPU hog affect as well.

Back