• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My First Home Made Waterblock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
crimedog said:
i have no idea what you did

and just saying on your site that all rights are reserved doesn't make it so
He glued a heatpipe with attached heat sink on to a home-made water block... And covered it with cake icing I think.

and whats the point in it?

What temps do you get? Perhaps a bigger passiv cooler or a fan would have helped...

may i heavly suggest that you take the time to properly machine and especialy think on design before you make something. i dont mean to be offensive or anything perhaps your next revision wwill look better with out silcone all over them.

crimedog said:
i have no idea what you did

and just saying on your site that all rights are reserved doesn't make it so

I believe the copyright on the pictures are his automatically, but i don't think the design is his automatically.

Design: Well, it's hard to work those stuff if you can't find a block of copper, so I had to solder all 4 sides. The reason why I have very little detail is because of the internal structure is still a top secret ATM.

Legal: I'm 100% sure you can still use the design without my permission, I didn't put any $60,000 patent on it, but I have legal documents to prove the date and time when I made this, when I came up with the designs, etc, just to prevent companies from copying my idea.

Next:
Yes, my next block or prototype will be much better, I'm trying to fix the school's cnc machine right now.

Last edited:
Cool mind if i shhow this on another site mate? As for picture copyright thats normally automatic well it is in the UK and so is the design of anything i think tho i thik america has different laws but im not 100% sure

*goes off to make one* hehe just kiddin mate well done!

Thanks for the support ppls :p

This is just an ugly working model for my legal document process, again, a nice looking working model will be here in 2 months or so (or 1 month if I work during X-mas, but like that's gonna happen). It took me 4 hours for this, I didn't have enough time since I was working on my HDD rack. XD

Looks good , and its great your having fun with this hobby. But wheres the results?
I love seeing these mods everyone is doing.

All rights reserved, I am the designer, inventor, and maker of this block and its general design (including these
photos), please contact me if you want to use it. It is a property of Bill Liu.

Just as warning actually posting this unfinished product may be rubbing some
people the wrong way. Any of the members who offered alternative solutions or mods
made it public property to the forum without any permission needed.

Last edited:
Legal: I'm 100% sure you can still use the design without my permission, I didn't put any $60,000 patent on it, but I have legal documents to prove the date and time when I made this, when I came up with the designs, etc, just to prevent companies from copying my idea.

Unfotunatly to patent a design or idea, you have to not only prove that it is new and is not covered by any existing patents (have you checked?) but that is it a novel or usefull idea. You can't patent anything that isn't useful, and you can't patent anything that the average person could come up with in minutes. I'm not saying that your design isn't useful or new, but it's pretty hard to come up with something patentable in the waterblock arena. In the US a patent is awarded to the first person to "discover" which means as long as you document what you have created, you have one year to file a patent. You can tell us all about it, and as long as you file for a patent within a year, no company can touch that design in the US. Throughout the rest of the world (why does the US always have to do things different, pain in everyone's ...)the patenet is awarded to the first person to file for the patent. If you think your design will sell well in japan or canada or china you might want to get a patent there too....

In any case, what have you come up with?

Yep, that's why I posted a link to my log instead. I have talked to my law teacher about this, and got some informational help from MIT. I'm going to the lawer tomorrow, to seal my notarized document officially, and about international copyright n stuff.

http://web.mit.edu/invent/h-chapters/h-seven.html

Btw, I have 4 different designs, each one of them has their pros and cons, this is just one. More to come ppl :p

LoL I made the page real simple, and only gave pics so you can't really figure it out. I will let you guys know when I finish my prototype, and more info will be released.

That design is a good first try. Keep working on it until you know it works so you dont
go and waste money on anylthing yet. The biggest and most expensive part of a
patent is the patent design searchs to make sure you are not duplicating something
someone else has already spent a lot of time and money on. This ensures you wont
get sued for having something similar.

Back