• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

disk cleanup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Meathead

Lately, when I go to click on disk cleanup, it sits on scanning : compress old files and will just sit there. I'll press cancel and I'll have to end the process or else it'll bog down my computer. Is there anyway to fix this?

Yea, I wouldn't mind trying a 3rd party program but I really want to get this working again. Theres no reason why it shouldn't be working. It works fine if I run disk cleanup on my D: partition (no OS) but C: it just won't work.

It's most likly having problems with one or more files. So it is freezing up trying to read that file and tell what it is. It would be pretty hard to naro it down to which file it is, so I am not sure what you could do you fix it. Have you tried letting it sit while you do to sleep? One night turn off almost all your apps and run it, let it go all night and maybe it will be able to eventually fix its problem.

Start | Run | Type regedit and click OK | Expand the following branch in the Registry...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE | SOFTWARE | Microsoft | Windows | CurrentVersion | Explorer | VolumeCaches

... and delete the Compress old files sub-key. You'll need to reboot after making the change.

If you still have a problem run a check on the files and see if one or more is corrupted. Use the System File Checker that is included with Windows XP. Click [Start] [Run] and type sfc /scannow in the [Open] box. (Remember that there is a space between sfc and /scannow) You will be prompted to insert the Windows XP CD ROM. It will take about 10-15 minutes then you will be prompetd to reboot.

Lastly if all else fails. Do a spyware scan and then reinstall Windows SP2.

Good luck with it.

I only have sp1. sp2 I heard was bad. I'll try your suggestions and let you guys know. Thanks for the replies. I went into recovery consol and typed chkdsk /p since I've had a recent BSOD due to memory instability and it said it found some errors and fixed them. This did not fix disk cleanup though. Is that what you're referring to rseven?

redduc900 said:
Start | Run | Type regedit and click OK | Expand the following branch in the Registry...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE | SOFTWARE | Microsoft | Windows | CurrentVersion | Explorer | VolumeCaches

... and delete the Compress old files sub-key. You'll need to reboot after making the change.

Worked like a charm. Thanks again.

Ok this is off subjet but I must ask, Reducc900 where do you get this info? You are obviously very good on computers but just remmbering all these fixes would be near impossible, so are you just like a master at searching?

Back