• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ghosting

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dittohead

hey

i want to re-format, and the process of re-installing applications is just way too long

iuve heard i can ghost my machine - how abouts do i do this?

ive got Norton Ghost v9
what else do i need?

cheers

I am not sure exactly what you are asking, but you can Ghost any drive or partition to any other in your system.Versions can be somewhat different than others and vary by their installation.Mine is a windows installed version that when started, reboots to PC dos.The dos interface is fairly easy and a dos bootdisk can be created to use if the system will not boot.

One thing I see is that you have sata and pata.For Ghost to see all drives you need to enable the -fni switch in the options catagory while in the dos mode.Click save these settings and it will allways boot with the switch.

It is an easy program that you could probably ramble through on your own.To help you any more I need more specific questions or info about what you want to do.

A little advice here, If your going to use ghost, I've had the best luck partitioning the drive i want to ghost first, than running the app so the ghost file image is placed on the partition you just made.

After that, move the image around to where its safe enough to store. It takes a little longer to pull off, but it's worth it.

Also, make sure you've downloaded all the updates you can for ghost. I lost a TON of data a couple times trying to ghost one physical drive to another physical drive.

tip #2 - Do another ghost image of your system right after you install all the drivers and stuff you use all the time. Restoring a system from a ghost file is MUCH faster than having to go through the whole windows setup again.

Ghost is a fantastic program in my IMO :)

~ Gos

Back