• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Still worried about installing SP2.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Feydd

Well my fresh install is pretty much done and now windows update is to the point of wanting to install SP2. When it first came out I remember a bunch of people saying it caused a bunch of issues with their internet connection. Because of that I turned auto-update off when SP2 came out and never worried about it since. Should I go ahead and let windows put SP2 on my computer? I used my computer for almost a year without installing SP2 and I never had any real problems.

SP2 issues are mostly long gone. There are some important aspects of SP2 that make it worth it.

It will slow your boot up very little. It does slow some things up. Not by much though. For the startup it is loading the extra security features during the boot. Turning off parts of the security center is easy.

Lets put it that way: if you like bad guys exploiting your PC remotely via year old holes, stay with SP1. If you want a secure Windows (maybe an oxymoron but oh well), then there is no alternative to running SP2

I would, I have installed SP2 around 6 or 7 times now. Only once did it give me any problems, and it was really my fault for not shutting all my programs down when I did the install. Even then though if I remember correctly it was easy to undo the problem and reinstall SP2. If you have a fresh install there is not much you can lose anyway. Though really I wouldn't worry about it to much, just follow what it says and youll be fine.

SP2 never gave me any problems. I was paranoid the first time and this was a few months after it was released. Worked fine but would work even better if it was on a fresh install of winxp.

I haven't, simply because I've had several bad experiences with installing blanket packages. I run a firewall, antivirus and antispyware/adware, and DL the options I choose from Windows Updates and Technet Security Zone. I have a MS cd of SP2 waiting for a reinstall, but until that time, I'll take care of my own business. I do have it installed fresh on some newer rigs I have built, but I don't like the upgrade option.

Im still running on SP1 and i see no problems with not upgrading. I dont know about sercurity holes, but if you have a decent firewall, and stand anti stuff, you should be safe from pretty much all of the basics. I think you would only have to worry about sercurity holes if someone is out for ya.

Im still running on SP1 and i see no problems with not upgrading. I dont know about sercurity holes, but if you have a decent firewall, and stand anti stuff, you should be safe from pretty much all of the basics. I think you would only have to worry about sercurity holes if someone is out for ya.
This is wrong. No firewall in the world will protect you from InternetExplorer or Outlook exploits. AV stuff also only works with very up to date virus definitions and it's easy to slip behind there. besides: if you update your AV, even run AV which always uses system ressources, why not update the root of the problem: Windows itself

SP2 has some new updates that's nice. The only thing I don't like is the firewall. I always turn off the Windows firewall. The Windows firewall gives me networking problems with the rest of my computers.

Use Norton Anti-virus to stop the spyware and keep system virus clean.

If you enable file and print sharing (in Windows firewall), you will have no problems with windows firewall.

XP SP2 has been out for almost a year. There is no reason to postpone updating. If your Windows 95 software has a glitch with SP2 then jump off a cliff because your obsolete.

the sp2 saga.there was a time when sp2 was not compatible with many components.
That has changed.
sp2 contains some features among many others like a firewall and other OS protections crucial to the good behaviour of XPPro which I would recommand against home.
So yes you should not concider living without it...

sp2 contains some features among many others like a firewall and other OS protections crucial to the good behaviour of XPPro which I would recommand against home.

I don't see the logic there. SP2 serves Home version just as well as Professional version. There is very little differnace in between Home And Pro. Many users do not need the Pro version. How often does a home user log into a domain? For a large LAN, Pro would be nice to manage the entire network.

Most home users get by just fine on the Home version. SP2 is crucial for both.

For the average user there is no advantages to having Pro. I myself even have Home as it is cheaper and I have no need for anything Pro offers.

I seen I had no use for Pro features also. I got Home edition at this location. Where I have more computers (small LAN that I take care of). I keep it under tight measures with Pro. The extra $60 is not worth it for most.

Matter of fact one of them is coming home tonight. Time to give it a face lift and modify some features it has. Then send it back to the brothers home and let it do it thing. My old Gateway is the master of his network. I call it up and do what I need. It is setup for a VPN. So I can have him hook a phone line in it. That is a really nice feature of Pro.

Back