• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory Heatsink question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dak9767

I'm in the process of installing my DD Maze 4 gpu blocks and my vid cards come stock with memory heatsinks already. The thing is I need to trim them down so the blocks and tubing will fit. How can I remove the stock heatsinks safely without destroying the cards?

Thanks

What kind of graphics card are you using? If the sinks look like they were attached using thermal adhesive, I would recommend putting your cards under load for about 15 minutes to heat them up, then try to pry them off...

You should google it some more though, I've heard of people ripping out their ram while removing sinks attached with thermal adhesive. I'm not sure but I think there's also a method of removing thermal adhesive with a razor and some isopropyl alcohol, but don't take my word on that.

Although I've never done it, I have read numerous times on the web that very cold temperatures can make the adhesive brittle. If you consider that DDR3 memory has a max operating temp of 125C, simply running the card under load won’t do much if the adhesive was designed to go anywhere near that temp.

You could try putting the card in a plastic zip-loc bag with lots of paper towels (or something) to absorb moisture in the air within the bag as it cools and condenses and then toss it in the freezer. When it’s sufficiently cold, pry the heat sinks off.

Alternately you could just lop the excess heat sink off with a Dremel or similar rotary tool

I have not done this my self but a Google search can do wonders, have at it.

I'm using an ASUS 6600GT and there is one heatsink for 2 memory modules. Also would it be safe to trim down the stock modules while attached to the vid card by using a dremel tool?

if you have one of those long straight razor blades used in scrapers, you can slide it under the edge of the heatsink and saw across the adhesive, CAREFULLY.

I cut off my heatsinks and I sheared off a few SMD capacitors on my x800pro.

How and why the card still works perfectly is beyond me

Dak9767 said:
I'm using an ASUS 6600GT and there is one heatsink for 2 memory modules. Also would it be safe to trim down the stock modules while attached to the vid card by using a dremel tool?

What if you slip/grind too deep/hit the ram?

Maviryk said:
What if you slip/grind too deep/hit the ram?
Using a Dermal tool you would be cutting the heat sinks parallel to the board, not grinding from the top down like some kind of power sander. I think the risk would be minimal if you secure the card before using BOTH HANDS to make the cut.

You can put the card in an anti-static bag and freeze it for a little bit, take it out and those heatsinks should pop off.

Back