• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is DDR slow, or is it me?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GE

Registered
I have 512 megs of DDR memory (crucial technology). It's slow,: in sandra I get a score of 553/638... on the program it shows what sort of performance Intel P800 RDRAM does and that's in the 1374/1400 area... that's well over twice the performance of my RAM. Do I have serious problems or is the intel stuff just plain quicker? I was under the impression that this DDR was blindingly fast, but evidently not!

cheers!

In most cases DDR performs only 5% better than regular SDRAM...15% in extreme cases.

Has better bandwidth, but for some reason it's just not utilized that well.

What board, and what chipset are you using? I would also tweak your memory. You should be able to get it in the 630/780 zone. Also you cant compare DDR to RDRAM because they run at different Bus speeds. If DDR would run at 400mhz you would see it close to that range as well, but it is impossible to overclock the FSB to that capacity.
Abb

I have an MSI K7T266 Pro mainboard.... it has a VIA Apollo KT266 chipset. How far can I over-clock the bus? no more than 10%?

cheers

GE said:
I have an MSI K7T266 Pro mainboard.... it has a VIA Apollo KT266 chipset. How far can I over-clock the bus? no more than 10%?

cheers
The problem is with the KT266 is that you can only overclock to 138FSB and then the USB ports close off. Your best bet is to overclock with multiplier using the KT266 chipset. The KT266A does not have this issue.
Abb

flounder43 said:
Does this (the USB problem) affect the 8kha as well? I haven't noticed it.
It is supposed to affect all Motherboards with the KT266 chipset once you hit over 138-142mhz fsb. Mine is good to about 138. After that my USB mouse or any USB item no longer works. Almost every VIA chip has some flaw in it, and this is it for the KT266.
Abb :(

nick_cw said:
THERE IS A BIOS UPDATE THAT FIXES THE USB NOT WORKING ISSUE WHEN OC'ED, I'VE FORGOTTEN THE URL BUT IT IS OUT THERE!!!
GET LOOKING!

I've tried it. It is called a USB filter patch. I had installed it, and it screwed up my registry. It would take 4minutes for windows to boot up, and then it would not even work properly as I had to reinstall all my USB components. To get rid of this, I had to first uninstall it, then I had to use system restore to fix up the registry. So there is no solution!
Abb :(

anyone got a clue where i could start searching for this file?

What OS are you using? Anything over 3 sumthing in Win95-98se makes it go slow. I suggest upgrading to 2k or Xp, you will probably notice a difference.

the usb does get affected with an 8kha. mine can go up to the high 130s and then the usb craps out on me. had to go get a ps2 mouse so i could leave it up that high. its annoying though since i have to underclock to print now cuz my printer is usb. if anyone finds that patch post a link. im too lazy to look for it myself

I don't use the usb for my mouse or KB.

I don't think I would ever use a mouse or KB with a usb connection----call me "old school"!

Why would you?

I'm running 2k using service pack 2. all my drivers are the latest, too.

Back