• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Network Antics

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GV2NIX

When on a LAN, how do you make a dialogue box pop up on another LAN computer that displays a message of your choice? I used to know how to do this, but I totally forgot. It was fun freaking people out in computer clusters (oops, I meant computer labs!), or chatting with my friends without having to use additional software. But alas! This information has bled itself from my spongy brain... :confused:

YOu mean the messenger service i believe. Not MS messenger, but the messenger service which is now disabled by default on SP2...

nikhsub1 said:
YOu mean the messenger service i believe. Not MS messenger, but the messenger service which is now disabled by default on SP2...
Ah ha! It's disabled by default by SP2, that's why I couldn't find anything about it... Yeah, Windows Messenger, not Windows Messenger Service, and not MSN Messenger Service.

Any way to enable it?

Edit: Oh, it's just net send? I thought it was disabled? I'm using Win2K at work, so net send works, but what about WinXP SP2?

Last edited:
GV2NIX said:
nikhsub1 mentioned it's disabled, do I have to enable it since I'm running SP2?

If it happens to be disabled.

WORKAROUND
To work around this problem, change the Startup type of the Messenger service to Automatic, and then start the Messenger service. To do this, follow these steps: 1. Open Windows Explorer.
2. In the left pane, right-click My Computer, and then click Manage.
3. In the Computer Management window, expand Services and Applications in the left pane, and then click Services.
4. In the right pane, double-click Messenger.
5. In the Messenger Properties (Local Computer) dialog box, click the General tab.
6. On the General tab, select Automatic from the Startup type list, and then click Apply.
7. Under Service status, click Start, and then click OK.

Because a lot of people started getting SPAM this way, a lot of boxes have the ability to receive these disabled, so you might want to clue some people in if you intend to chat with messaging.

stool said:
Because a lot of people started getting SPAM this way, a lot of boxes have the ability to receive these disabled, so you might want to clue some people in if you intend to chat with messaging.

They turned it off by default in SP2.

I've avoided SP2 as an upgrade. I have a slipstreamed SP2 CD ready for when I finally get around to a reinstall, but I've never had good luck with upgrades, so it will wait.

SP2 has been good to me. I generally stay on top of all upgrades. Ironically, they have helped keep my OS clean, haha! Maybe I've just been lucky, or maybe I'm not using things that SP2 will interfere with...

Use the command prompt to net send people on your LAN. type in: "net send computer's-name-here text text text"

you can find out the computers name by right clicking my computer and go to computer name and then click on "change" and in the text box there will display the name. don't change it though.

if its disabled, bust out command prompt, and type NET START

or maybe its NET SEND START

but that should do it..but it wont work on the other comps unless their enabled..and thats how you disable it, NET STOP

Now if your a snot like me, and dont like dumb obnoctious girls purposely making racket, clicking, whinning, and living on myspace all day, theres a shutdown /f option to turn off others computers.

Ive done it, i love it

MadSkillzMan said:
Now if your a snot like me, and dont like dumb obnoctious girls purposely making racket, clicking, whinning, and living on myspace all day, theres a shutdown /f option to turn off others computers.

Ive done it, i love it
Yes, I've used shutdown before too, haha! It's very satisfying using it on workstations that people are abusing and and using to violating computer lab policies.

Back