• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rad fan vs gpu water block?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gnat

Hi folks. I am a total novice, worthless with tools, but who thankfully has a friend that is pretty handy with tools and setting up PC's. I really could use some advice.

I purchased a Thermaltake Tai Chi case with water-cooling. ( http://www.thermaltake.com/xaserCase/taichi/vb5001sna/vb5001sna.htm )

I also purchased an nVidia 7800GT GPU waterblock from Dangerden.

Here is my problem: The damn door of the case will not shut, because the bottom 120 fan for the radiator bumps against the valves of the gpu water block!!! :bang head

Now if I remove the bottom fan, the door will shut. I have 12.5mm of clearance to work with once the fan is removed and the door is shut.

What I need is your experience to guide me as to how to make the best of a bad situation.

Possible scenarios I have considered:
1. Eat the S&H again, and the 15% restocking fee and return the block to danger den and look to either air cooling the gpu or getting a smaller block and passively cooling the vid ram with heatsinks. (DD is supposedly are going to add this to the list of compatibility issues.)
2. Remove the bottom rad fan and mount an intake fan on the floor grill of the case and hope that is enough. (yes-- floor, heh)
3. Remove the bottom rad fan, mount the intake fan to the floor grill and make a duct out of sheet metal that goes from this fan, up to the exposed fins.

Any suggestins would be greatly appreciated!

gnat

GEEZ that things expensive for no reason. :(

get rid of that block and get a maze 4 those things arnt to good.

someone i know had one and he said it would never touch the ram and the core all the way and caused him to fry a couple of cards

thanks for the ideas. We used artic silver and had no issues with making full contact with RAM and GPU, but a maze may be what I go with-- still not sure. as to mounting the fan outside, the case is made of extruded aluminum, with 1 " fins, so I am not sure how feasible that is, but I'll have my friend take a look.

I'll keep checking back in here-- need to make a decision in the next few days.

thanks again!

adding to this thread in case someone comes here one day looking for an answer to a similar situation.

I am going to keep the gpu block, remove the bottom rad fan and secure it to the floor grill as an outtake fan. Then use the Thermaltake Aquabay to hopefully take up the slack. If it turns out to be a horrible solution, I will add to this thread one last time.

Back