• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is the PA160 ready better than a 120mm RAD?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rlsnyder99

Registered
Is the Thermochill PA160 really better than any of the other 120mm RAD? Or is it just bigger so you can use a slower fan and have less noise?

It is better than single 120 rad. Also should produce better results with less noise.

the PA160 is not a 120mm rad, but a larger radiator with a shroud to attach it to a 120mm fan. The extra surface area allows for higher heat disappation and lower resistance for the 120mm fan. Less resistance, less fan noise and more air flow. More air flow means more cooling. So, yes it really is better than just a plain old 120mm radiator.

What they said. I have one and it works well. Much more frontal area and surface area than a standard rad, as well as working well with low speed fans.

rlsnyder99 said:
Is the Thermochill PA160 really better than any of the other 120mm RAD? Or is it just bigger so you can use a slower fan and have less noise?

additionally it is optimized for performance at lower noise and pressure levels.

PA160 allows all of the fan's air to be blown at the maximum Surface Area. Since 120mm Computer Case fans Blow the majority of the Air Outward at a 45 Degree angle, with 120mm radiators much of the air flow is wasted and bounces of the top of the shroud. It is equivalent to slightly less than a Dual 120mm Radiator. Though its price is unattractive because it is a few dollars more than the PA120.2, a dual 120mm radiator. Which is in turn a few dollars less than 120.3 All of the radiators are literaly within 5 dollars of eachoter, its worth getting the 120.3 if it fits in your case.

Zenjirou said:
Though its price is unattractive because it is a few dollars more than the PA120.2, a dual 120mm radiator. Which is in turn a few dollars less than 120.3 All of the radiators are literaly within 5 dollars of eachoter, its worth getting the 120.3 if it fits in your case.

That holds true for almost all radiators. I bought myself a BIX3 for not a whole lot more than a BIX, although a BIX would of been sufficient lol.

Back