• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Using household water for cooling - calculation question.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

orion456

I know someone is smart enough to do this calculation pretty easy:

The water coming out my taps is 10c. What flow rate would be necessary to carry away 130 Watts of heat from a CPU? At 10 cents per cubic foot, how much would it cost to cool a processor if it ran 24/7 365?

ive thought about this alot before.also the tap has pressure. upto 65psi or more in some places. my dads house is over 80psi. could really see what jet impengement can do at those pressures!

The_Jizzler said:
ive thought about this alot before.also the tap has pressure. upto 65psi or more in some places. my dads house is over 80psi. could really see what jet impengement can do at those pressures!

I imagine a slow dribble rather than a torrent so a pressure reducer would work fine. After all the water comes in at 10c, and water has a high heat capacity so it will take a while to heat it up to room temperatures.

My question is: how much of a dribble?

Ok I think I got this, thanks to a grade 8 online math quiz.

1. 130 watts is 130 joules/second

2. 130 j/s divided by 4.19 joules/calorie = 31 calories/sec to be removed

3. 31 calories / 10c = 3.1 grams/s of h20 [1 g h20 up 1c = 1 calorie]

4. 3.1 grams of h20 = 3.1 cubic centimeters/second

5. 3.1 cm3/sec = 0.394 ft3/hour

6. 0.394 ft3/hour x 0.10 cents/ft3 x 24 hours x 365 = $345 per year.

Voila, easy grade 8 math....wonder if thats right.

Bit too rich for my blood though.

Last edited:
10C water probably wouldn't need much flow, but I'd bet an impingement type block wouldn't be the best at this rate.

Anyway, put the outlet into a dribbler hose in the flowerbed. Two birds with one stone.
Of course being in Canada, the cost then would be one computer. When the line froze solid the flow would stop and the tubing would burst. Factoring in Murphy's Law, it would be in the least conspicuous and hardest to reach place too.

Okay okay, not much of a contribution, so I'll just be moving along now...

ƒÓÒl said:
Of course being in Canada, the cost then would be one computer. When the line froze solid the flow would stop and the tubing would burst. Factoring in Murphy's Law, it would be in the least conspicuous and hardest to reach place too.

Okay okay, not much of a contribution, so I'll just be moving along now...

LOL, now freezing gives me an idea!

If I ran the water outside first, it would drop to near 0c and then the flow rate would only need to be 1/2, for a saving of $172!

Last edited:
Aphex_Tom_9 said:
4.3 cm3/sec = 0.547 ft3/hour

that dosent quite make sense...thats very little water flow...

Notice how I change the calculation on you!!

It seems like a ridiculously slow flow rate, but 10c water takes a lot to heat up to 20c (good old heat capacity of water coming into play there).

Q = m x c x dT

Q is the heat transferred (watt/hour)
m is the mass flow rate (kg/hour)
c is the specific heat capacity (watt/kg)
dT is the change in temperature

Q= 130 watts
m = kg of water per hour (value you're looking for)
c = specific heat of water = 1.163w/1kg for water
dT = desired CPU temp(30C) – 10C = 20C

130 = m x 1.163 x 20

130 = 23.26m

m = 5.589 kg water per hour = 1.5 gallons per hour

This may seem like a very low rate. That because the assumption is that every molecule of water is used for cooling. In the real world that doesn't quite happen.

Your real benefit is that you're also enjoying a HUGE temperature differential. The best blocks generally require 1GPM to keep CPU temp within 10 degrees of the water temp. But your 20c differential gives you tons of headroom when it comes to flow rate.

If you look at the interactive waterblock test results at ProCooling.com, and extend the curves of the waterblocks towards the low-flow end of the chart, you’ll realize that you have to reach some pretty darn slow flow rates to get a differential of 20C. My barely edjumacated guesstimate would be that a Storm block would need about 5 GPH to give you a 20C differential, keeping you CPU at 30C.

365 x 24 x 5 x 0.1336806 x .10 = 585 dollars

Seems a bit pricey, no? :p

This is what I get for my values. How are you guys performing the math?

(3.1cm3/s) x (60s/min) = 186cm3/min

(186cm3/min) x (60min/h) = 11,160cm3/h

(11,160cm3/h) x (1m3/1000cm3) = 11.16m3/h

(11.16m3/h) x (1ft3/.02831m3) = 394ft3/h

3.1cm3/s = 394ft3/h

4.3cm3/s = 546.1ft3/h

noxqzs said:
This is what I get for my values. How are you guys performing the math?

(11,160cm3/h) x (1m3/1000cm3) = 11.16m3/h

1 m3 = 100x100x100 cm3 = 1,000,000 cm3 not 1000cm3

so you need to divide your final result by 1000 to get 0.394 ft3/hr, the same as I got.

Why don't you just put a radiator outside since it's cold out there? That way you won't have to worry about mineral build-up gunking up your blocks.

Graystar said:
dT = desired CPU temp(30C) – 10C = 20C

I think you have the wrong dT. We want to raise the water temperature from 10c to 20c a difference of 10c, so dT = 10c?

Maviryk said:
Why don't you just put a radiator outside since it's cold out there? That way you won't have to worry about mineral build-up gunking up your blocks.

Considering that, but you have to worry about freezing, and you need to run some long hoses. It also doesn't work in the summer time when temperatures run up to 30c+. But city water temperatures are pretty constant because its all underground.

Graystar said:
"We want to raise the water temperature from 10c to 20c"

Why?

Cuz I said I have 10c water and I wanted the CPU to be room temperature which I took to be 20c; hence 10c -> 20c = 10c difference the water has to carry away.

orion456 said:
Cuz... I wanted the CPU to be room temperature which I took to be 20c...
Ah. Then you should have said that in your original post! :p

That makes things easier. We already know that a Storm G4 requires .75 GPM to maintain a 10 degree difference between the water and the CPU. Just work out the cost from there.

thanks for the clarification. simple things like that can literally throw a wrench into the whole thing. I should have picked that up.

kind of reminds me of the times I made mistakes on important exams. glad those days are over.

Graystar said:
Ah. Then you should have said that in your original post! :p

That makes things easier. We already know that a Storm G4 requires .75 GPM to maintain a 10 degree difference between the water and the CPU. Just work out the cost from there.

I'll leave that calculation to you.

I'm still trying to figure out how your previous calculation gets worse when 10c is inserted instead of 20c. 10c makes the mass more, and that requires 2x more flow....or else I am missing something.

Back