• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Koyo Race Car Radiator Passive SLI Setup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zenjirou

Registered
I know some people use Car Radiators in passive setups. I bought this Koyo Race Car Radiator (US $75 Ebay) for passive cooling. I previously had a BIX, MCP350 and 3/8" Tubing. This revision inclues:

7/16" Tubing
Iwaki MD20-RZG2
Koyo Radiator

The Components:

Asus A8N SLI Deluxe
A64 Venice 3000+
3X Samsung Spinpoint 200GB HD
Ultra Wizard Case

Watercooling:
Polarflo CPU,GPU Blocks
Maze 4 Chipset block

86-89_accord_koyo.jpg

newsetup.jpg

g70s2.jpg

I removed the 3.5" Bays thinking the Pump will fit in that spot, but I am not so sure it can once I put it in.
iwakiinside.jpg

I don't have exact dimentions, but here it is for comparison.

rad2.jpg

radcomparison.jpg
Compaited with Black Ice Xtreme
radfanpump.jpg
Next to Iwaki and 80mm and 92mm fan

I am using a car rad and really enjoy it for the silence, but it is nowhere near the size of that beast. It's nice to see someone else going this route. You can cool I have no idea how many PCs with that rad and pump. I do hope that rad is copper core and not aluminum! Mine is copper core with plastic tanks.

Are you just going to make some kind of a stand for the rad and sit it next to your system?

voigts said:
I am using a car rad and really enjoy it for the silence, but it is nowhere near the size of that beast. It's nice to see someone else going this route. You can cool I have no idea how many PCs with that rad and pump. I do hope that rad is copper core and not aluminum! Mine is copper core with plastic tanks.

Are you just going to make some kind of a stand for the rad and sit it next to your system?

All copper

MD20RZG. 6.7Meters of Head.

fanhole.jpg
Hard Disk Fan fits

display.jpg
Figuring out Tubing pathway

angletop.jpg

Pump is not going to fit... I guess it must be mounted outside.
firststep.jpg
7/16" Tubing on 1/2" tight fit

Last edited:
Maybe you should think about mounting the pump to the radiator. That'll keep the inside of your case open, and keep the radiator and pump all in one convienient piece. How large is the radiator compared to the case?

Zenjirou said:
All copper

Really?! I thought racers only used aluminum radiators these days. I've been looking at radiators for older trucks, but if the HP crowd is still using copper, there might be something better there.

It's a bird, it's a plane, no it's a Koyo Race Car Radiator :p

Holly crap that rad is HUGE!!! Can't wait to see what kind of results will you be getting.

Id keep the pump outside of the case just because of the heat it produces. md20s get pretty darn hot. They cool down well with a fan on them but that's just going to heat up everything else in your case. Your setup is portable so there really isn't any good reason to have it in your case.

I just found some dimensions on this thing from a car modding forum. 27.5l x 13h x 2w That means that it is longer than my case is tall. Also I noticed that one of your pics has 2 Koyo boxes. Just how many of these rads will you be using?

z0n3 said:
I just found some dimensions on this thing from a car modding forum. 27.5l x 13h x 2w That means that it is longer than my case is tall. Also I noticed that one of your pics has 2 Koyo boxes. Just how many of these rads will you be using?

Koyo is next to a Closet Door with miror

There are many versions of the Koyo Rad. I had to choose between Civic RX /Mazda 300RZ/Prelude/Accord/nissan. Each one has slightly different dimentions. On ebay right now a new batch for sale is posted. Can see pics and compre there. They all look similar, yet different Inlet outlet locations, and slight size differences. Also some are Single Row, and others Double Row ( analogy is BIP and BIX). this one I have is Double Row, so is quite thick. (as thick as BIX)

Last edited:
Back