• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Serious Pop-up Problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GunnerMan

Ok I was tryin to get this program to work for another comp I wont mention wich because its prolly against forum policy and no it was not pr0n.. Anyway I scan program with Norton and run it. All of a sudden I get LOADS of popups and a stupid red X in my tastbar sayin im at risk and to buy this program. Ok I went and downloaded Microft antispyware, Adaware, spybot. Ran em all plus Norton got rid of the worst of it but I still get thes popups. There are no processes running that don't pertain to Windows, Nvidia, or Creative running. I still get these popups. The pages are loaded from my machine and more pages are generated as I browse the net. I get popups with html fil names of things like yyy65, yyy26, adopt ect etc. I can delete them but the just regenerate. I have no idea how to fix it.

Check to make sure the "Messenger" service is disabled (if running XP or W2K)...Start | Run | Type services.msc, and click OK | Scroll down to "Messenger", right-click and select "Properties" | "General" tab | Under "Startup type", choose 'Disabled' and then choose the 'Stop' button. After the service is stopped, click OK. Nothing in Windows or any real third-party applications should be affected by this.

The Messenger service is used to instant message others on the same LAN (using the "net send" command). It uses ports 135 and 139, and spammers have found a way to use this service to feed you pop-ups. A good firewall (or disabling the service altogether) will stop them, as ports 135 and 139 should NEVER be wide open to the internet.

to start you can go to download.com and download
the cleaner (free 30 day trial. good for finding trojans and downloaders)
adaware (finds sptware)
spybot s&d ( finds spyware)
MS antispyware beta

download these and reboot the system in safemode with network support. this way you can download updates.

run the above programs in safemode.

once these are all run you should be pretty clean. then you can try booting in regular mode and go to www.pccillin.com and run their online scanner.

I find adaware the cleaner or spybot absolutaly useless.

There is "Registry Mechanic" 2004 or 2005 .Best of all.
Its cheap and really effiscient.I use it myself after many problems and many downfalls.
It is ranked 2nd on a 2005 NY time study on anti spyware and anti adware...
But as Reducc900 says you must 1st shut down your "messenger" feature in windows services.
Another thing if it is XPPro create a user name with a hellish admin. password that would help too.Hey, a good advice, if you do, dont forget it write it down somewhere...

Well I ran spybot, adaware, and regestry mechanic amd nortons in normal windopws mode. I will attempt to do it all in safe mode later when I get home. I really dont want to reformat I have so many adons for FS2k4.

Well pccillin did not work. I think Spysweeper would work but I don't have 30$ right now to buy it. So I am preparing to reformat. Id like to give these spyware guys a call.....

Adaware, Registry Mechanic, Spybot, Norton, pccillin and a battery of others found problems but it never seemed to fix them. I manualy went in and deleted registry items and known .dll's with no success. I give kudos to whoever developed this program as it is one fine piece of spyware and has had me out of gaming for days and I can't take it. So hopefully I can get everything I need and wipe her.
'

Check your startup folder under start menu, and then take a look at programs that boot @ startup using msconfig (Start->Run..-> type 'msconfig.sys' ->go to startup tab and CAREFULLY kill unknown apps [check them with google first]. Manual registry editing can do some serious damage to your comp, so make sure you know what you're deleting. Also, making a backup might be a good idea.

I will look in msconfig but I already checked and I did not see anything there. If I disable internet connection or boot in safe mode they don't pop up and all seems fine. When I turn on internet it starts. I have several backup registrys and only delete stuff I am sure about. If I can't stop it by end of tonight or tomorrow I am reformating but its gonna take me days to backup :(

Back