• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

system process hogging cpu

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I woke up to find that system in the task manager was taking up 49% cpu usagae, and system idle process taking up 51. I've had exactly the same programs running that I have for the last week. The system was completely idle when I went to bed and no programs looked like they were "doing" anything when I noticed this. Also, my northbridge was at 60c - I thought the NB was only used when running things like virtualdub and games. The only other time the NB reached this temp was encoding a divx, and I very soon recieved a BSOD. What could have caused the high cpu use?

The System Process (Not the System Idle Process) is usually for drivers and stuff at a hardware level. I would check your System Logs to see if there are any errors. Also make sure you have all of your drivers updated and installed.

Captain Newbie said:
Just to make it perfectly clear what's being said here.

Or something...more sinister...at work, such as a virus. Start looking around, use your security tools.

Kapersky picks up any virus as soon as it attempts to infect (mainly from visiting mscracks), the SYSTEM process was high, not system idle, and I can say that I have no spyware. I haven't fully converted to firefox, but any site that even seems suspicious, i run in firefox.

Back