• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Program like Trillian

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tyreal

Im getting sick of trillian and its weird look. I want a very clean program that has all the functions of trillian and maybe more. It has to be able to support voice on all types of IM.

Can someone recommend one?

Tyreal said:
Im getting sick of trillian and its weird look. I want a very clean program that has all the functions of trillian and maybe more. It has to be able to support voice on all types of IM.

Can someone recommend one?

If you are using Windows, I would recommend Gaim [http://gaim.sourceforge.net/win32/index.php], or Miranda IM [http://www.miranda-im.org/].

If you are using Linux, I would recommend Gaim [http://gaim.sourceforge.net/downloads.php], or Kopete [http://kopete.kde.org/].

I'm going to assume you're using Windows, because otherwise you wouldn't be asking this question. With that in mind the two programs that tsiepr2 mentioned are both good examples of known, trusted clients that would more or less serve as fit alternatives to Trillian. Having said that, you're more likely to be satisfied with Miranda, which is lighter, more customizable, and extensible then Gaim.

If for whatever reason you're not satisfied with Miranda or Gaim for that matter there are a whole dearth of other IM clients you can try out, though they're less known well known then the two previously mentioned and frankly not all gems. Here's a thread that sums up your other alternatives pretty nicely: http://www.oldversion.com/talk/showthread.php?t=1092

Good luck and if you run into trouble just ask :santa:.

If it's the trillian look your upset with, i would suggest ... reading the forum rules about warez and cracks and other such materials? -- David

Last edited by a moderator:
TheNeonShadow said:

ummm...

12. Discussion of the unauthorized reproduction, distribution, copying, or theft of copyrighted materials is forbidden. This includes, but is not limited to discussion of the use of peer to peer (P2P) applications for the purpose of obtaining copyrighted material. Discussion of P2P programs and networks is not forbidden; but there is to be no connection (stated, implied, or otherwise) to obtaining copyrighted material, or other illegal activities.
http://www.ocforums.com/announcement.php?f=66&announcementid=5

Want to reword your post?

Back on topic, it might be a good idea to convert some of your friends to another client that supports voice and that is easy to install. Ever try Google Talk?

Last edited by a moderator:
Tyreal said:
im goin with gaim. Im all good <snip>

Gaim just released a 2.0 beta version. If you are interested in beta software, you might want to check that version out. I'm currently running that version by the way and it is relatively good. I also forgot that Gaim has voice support... silly me...

GAIM is such a piece of **** it is mind boggling. It seems like a lot of misguided developers have got the all in one market cornered!! Not that it is surprising, GTK+ is total crapware on windows regardless of who is using it.

Trillian, GAIM, gah, they make you want to run each client by itself! At least the interface would be more consistent and the programs would be more reliable... they'd probably use less system resources as well. If you're on windows all the official clients work fine... no, they work better, than these hack-a-longs.

What?!?

I have been using Gaim for the last few weeks since i posted this thread and its been workin wonders. Its so simple to use and it works great.

SuperFarStucker said:
GAIM is such a piece of **** it is mind boggling. It seems like a lot of misguided developers have got the all in one market cornered!! Not that it is surprising, GTK+ is total crapware on windows regardless of who is using it.

Trillian, GAIM, gah, they make you want to run each client by itself! At least the interface would be more consistent and the programs would be more reliable... they'd probably use less system resources as well. If you're on windows all the official clients work fine... no, they work better, than these hack-a-longs.

This may be true, but regardless, I don't get ads through trillian. I would if i used the offcial aim client.

gt24 said:
Gaim just released a 2.0 beta version. If you are interested in beta software, you might want to check that version out. I'm currently running that version by the way and it is relatively good. I also forgot that Gaim has voice support... silly me...

I just thought you would like to know that previous versions of Gaim did not allow direct connections between computers with a "cracked" internet connection, but the v2.0 BETA has support to work around it.

SuperFarStucker said:

Wo, buddy...take two steps back, and listen to yourself. Some people do not like Gaim, Trillian, or GTK+, but there is no reason to bring your anger and/or hatred toward something into a thread in which someone actually needs help with the software.

For me, nothing can replace the functions of AIM I like... not that i really like AIM.. it sux.

Trillian.. to XP
GAIM... sux

Now I use sum thing called AIM Ad Hack.. works for me. I still want tabbed IM windows though... that is a major drawback.

MOZILLA NEEDS AN IM CLIENT!!!

have you tried the new aim? it has tabbed im windows.

i also tried gaim and didn't care for it. i really like googles program, too bad its hard to get people to switch.

I love my GAIM. Its so easy to use. It's always been on the top of my list for IM clients.

As for system resources..20MB being used by GAIM. Trillian would use 40, AIM would use 20 or so, MSN would use 10, Y! would use about 10. GAIM for t3h win :). Run it on all my old PCs so they don't get bogged down by AIM spyware and Trillian "Look at the fancy interface!"

Back