• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Random 10C Jump in Temps, why?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

whitebloodcell

I yesterday went into my case to fit a new IDE Cable (Just for looking cool/cable tidying) Turned the computer back on (with difficulty, but thats another story)

and my CPU temps according to Smart Guardian are at about 39C Idle. 44C Load. However this is a huge increase from what is was only a hour or two before. previously Idle Temps hung around 30C and 35C Load. I did not touch an part of the loop except the pump, which I turned up since I noticed it was running on a slower speed setting.

my Loop consists of a D5, PA120.2 Rad, CPU and GPU blocks, using 7/16ID Tygon.

I an not sure if this is related, but since this has happened I have been unable to play Sim City4 (awesome game) it previously ran fine, but now it crashes within 5 minutes of running. Just the game, not the whole computer.

Any thoughts?

Classic symptoms of needing to remount the WB. Try that first. Make sure pump is running and there is no blockage anywhere.

I'll have a go, unfortunately remounting the block invariably requires removing the entire mobo, which is understandably a pain. And its a hassle even then, I really wish I had got a case with a removable Mobo tray, damn Stacker.

But even so, If it didnt touch the block how could this have happened?

If you bumped any of the tubes, your water block would move, although it seems like you have to have some bad luck to make it move that bad. Also you might want to try putting your pump back at the setting it was at before just for kicks, maybe there's something wrong and it actaully runs slower at that speed. I dunno, but it's worth a shot if the alternate is removing your motherboard.

Sorry to hear about that whitbloodcell... It's really a shame when things die randomly, any idea what do you did to kill it? Or was it just random act of fate?

Either way, good luck to you my friend and hope you aren't without a pump for long.

haha, it's funny you mention that about sim city 4. i had the same problem but figured it out. i'm guessing you have a 7800 series card? what's happening is your temps are getting really high and there are some graphically intensive things in the game (the alphablending of the circles for school bus area and such) that cause spikes in GPU temps. when the GPU throttles down to a lower clock (as it does automatically in temp spikes) the game crashes. when you get another pump it'll be fine ^_^

however, since this was brought up... is there a way in coolbits or RivaTuner (preferably RT) to disable GPU thermal throttling?

Last edited:
whitebloodcell said:
I'll have a go, unfortunately remounting the block invariably requires removing the entire mobo, which is understandably a pain. And its a hassle even then, I really wish I had got a case with a removable Mobo tray, damn Stacker.
Next time you remove the motherboard cut out behind the socket so you can access the board from the rear.
Like so...
mbfan.jpg

Saves a lot of time in the long run...

Back