• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Legallity/program for ripping DVD to new format?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tresmonos

I came here to ask about the legallity of ripping a DVD that I own onto my hardrive. I want to be able to watch it on my PDA and before I even searched for a proggy to do this, is it legal? I do not use any file sharing programs and I don't intend on distributing my vast DVD collection, either. It took too much of my money for me to give it away.

Secondly, if it is legal, is there a program I can purchase to do this? All I want to do is compress it to a format that I can load onto my 1gb sd card for my iPAQ. Thanks in advance :)

Trombe said:
I think it's legal as long as you own the DVD:

DVD Decrypter:
http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/dvd_decrypter.cfm

This software is no longer available, this page is stored for archival puposes only.

On 24th of November, 2005, Macrovision Europe contacted AfterDawn.com, notifying us that they have acquired full rights to the DVD Decrypter software and have changed its licensing terms. Effective immediately, they have decided to withdraw all distribution rights from all third party companies, including AfterDawn.com. Thus, distributing DVD Decrypter is now as illegal as it would be to distribute cracked copies of Windows operating system or pirated copies of games.

No more DVD Decrypter.....

I'm looking for a similar program, to put my DVD collection on a server to be connected to my home network.

I suggest just browsing around after-dawn. Many many programs and info there. Just getting into this so I can't give advice except where I'm finding it.

DVDshrink works well for ripping dvds. I think anydvd can also do this, although I've never tried the program.

I just went to use DVDShrink to rip one and it just as CloneDVD doesn't have some of the decryption power. So it takes other programs to strip the DVD then use DVDShrink to encode the data into a ISO to be burned. Works well, just did two since last post.

anydvd with ultraiso can rip a disc. Sheesh, anydvd (or similar) with windows explorer can rip a disc. If you want to remove certain things such as subs or audio, nero recode (with anydvd) is very user friendly. I like the server idea. I just can't afford the highend monitors that would be necessary to watch them direct from hd.
There are many progs that can do this. PocketDVD is made for Ipaq's. The only thing that could be illegal would be to play it in a public forum.

Back