• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't access xp instillation or console

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

flagship

AMD SD 4k, 7800GT, mushkin xp4000 (2*512), dfi lan party sli-dr, seagate 160 gb w/NCQ at 7200 rpm 3 Gb/s, windows xp professional

Recently one of my system files become corrupt because I mistakedly turned it off during the windows load screen :shrug: , and so I went through the repair process -- I was able to get into windows once under safe mode but I didn't seize on the opportunity to save my files :bang head . After that whenever I tryed to access the windos instillation or repair console I would get the blue screen with what I assume is a stop error. Is there anyway to save this drive's files or at least reformat it. Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

Some options
1) if you have a cd burner/dvd burner and a spare drive to put it the box and load windows on it with the original drive as a slave, then burn the data files or copy to the new drive, space permitting.

2) <similar> take the drive out and put in another pc burner equipped or enough drive space

bartpe or knopernix boot disks will get you back in as well. But probably the quickest way would be to do as jajmon says, pop the drive into another computer as a slave and copy everything out to another hd.

>>pop the drive into another computer as a slave and copy everything out to another hd.

How do you do this? And is it just for the sake of clearing the corrupted hd or does it rescue the files in the corrupted hd?

>>bartpe or knopernix boot disks will get you back in as well

I've investigated using a linux boot disk (those are linux editions right? lol.. :eh?: ) but there are so many and so many versions that I do not know which one to select simply for the task of reformatting my hd. Also, to use these boot disks must they be isos?

Thanks
-newb

flagship said:
AMD SD 4k, 7800GT, mushkin xp4000 (2*512), dfi lan party sli-dr, seagate 160 gb w/NCQ at 7200 rpm 3 Gb/s, windows xp professional

Recently one of my system files become corrupt because I mistakedly turned it off during the windows load screen :shrug: , and so I went through the repair process -- I was able to get into windows once under safe mode but I didn't seize on the opportunity to save my files :bang head . After that whenever I tryed to access the windos instillation or repair console I would get the blue screen with what I assume is a stop error. Is there anyway to save this drive's files or at least reformat it. Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

You're likely gonna be required to reformat. Sorry. :(

flagship said:
>>pop the drive into another computer as a slave and copy everything out to another hd.

How do you do this? And is it just for the sake of clearing the corrupted hd or does it rescue the files in the corrupted hd?

Disconnect and remove it from your PC. Then you install it into a working PC. It's basically a way to copy the files onto a working PC, assuming the file system hasn't been completely borked. There is no "slave" for your drive, as it is an SATA drive.

Reformatting is possible, you just have to run through the XP install and you can delete the partition and then format it. This will wipe all the contents of that partition, so if you need your files, a repair install may be the better option to try again.

"Reformatting is possible, you just have to run through the XP install and you can delete the partition and then format it. This will wipe all the contents of that partition, so if you need your files, a repair install may be the better option to try again."

The problem is that I get the blue screen whichever option I pick -- instillation or repair console. Immediately, after I select one or the other it goes into the blue screen with a stop error, though I believe these are never the same ones.

flagship said:
"Reformatting is possible, you just have to run through the XP install and you can delete the partition and then format it. This will wipe all the contents of that partition, so if you need your files, a repair install may be the better option to try again."

The problem is that I get the blue screen whichever option I pick -- instillation or repair console. Immediately, after I select one or the other it goes into the blue screen with a stop error, though I believe these are never the same ones.
Tell us exactly which screens you're getting.

It's possible you have hardware problems. Incompatibility, or something else.

I suggest you run memtest on the memory to see if there are errors.

Also, can you post your complete system configuration?

>>Tell us exactly which screens you're getting.:

After running windows setup and selecting the setup windows I get various errors such as:
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

***STOP: 0x0000000A (0xC18B027D, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x807ECFE0

DRIVE_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
STOP: 0x000000D1 (0x55444670, 0x000000002, 0x00000000, 0xF76B253A

atapi.sys -address F76B253A base at F76AC000, DateStamp 3d6ddb04

When trying to go into safe mode I get this:
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
STOP: 0x0000000A (0x000000050, 0x000000002, 0x00000001, 0x804EFB93)
beginning dump of physical memory
dumping physical memory to disk %done

>>Incompatibility...Also, can you post your complete system configuration?

There hasn't been an issue with incompatibility for the 2 or 3 months I've had the computer. Right now the bios is set at defaults.

AMD San Diego 4000+, evga 7800GT, mushkin xp4000 (2*512), dfi lan party sli-dr, seagate 160 gb w/NCQ at 7200 rpm 3 Gb/s, windows xp professional, seasonic s12 600w, thermaltake big typhoon

Back