• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My first water cooling system is now up and running.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Soong

It took pretty much all day including the modifications I had to do to the case it self. I feel like I should be charged with a sex crime after the way I had to treat some of my hardware.

I’m very pleased so far. I have been able to achieve a stable over clock of 3.38GHz from a stock speed of 2.8GHz (P4 dual core) with no trouble at all. I am running two Folding@Home clients; one for each core of course. I will try pushing it more in the morning.

My system is quite but I have realized something. A lot of the noises I didn’t like from my system before where not from all the fans. The loud ones were for sure, especially that wretched GPU fan. A regularly timed, uhm… groan, seems to be coming from some of the hard disks I have in the system (there are 5). I think the vibrations from all the drives kind of synch up every 15 seconds or so and kind of whine (?) it’s a really hard sound to describe.

Also the Panaflow fan I got for the radiator sounds slightly off balance and makes a bit of a buzzing sound. I had a Delta tri-blade that I was going to use but didn’t because it actually vibrated as it was off balance. The Delta didn’t actually make any noticeable noise because of it though. I might switch back.

My temps are jumping between 36C and 38C. I bumped the memory voltage up by 0.2v because my CMOS told me to (I was surprised as well); and the CPU voltage up by ~0.02v because I was going from 3.2GHz to 3.4GHz and figured it wouldn’t hurt. The CMOS reset jumper is now thoroughly nested and hard to reach, I’m thinking about rigging a toggle switch on the front of the case so I can short that jumper without opening the case and performing microsurgery in the future

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-8I955X Royal
Processor: Intel Pentium D 820
Memory: Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400 2GB Kit DDR2-800 XMS2-6400
Video Card: ATi X1800 XL
Sound Card: Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum
SCSI Controler: Adaptec 29160N
Primary HDD: Cheetah X15 36LP
Secondary Storage: RAID 5 Array comprised of 4 drives (4x Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 SATA - ST3120026AS)
Optical Drives: Two Plextor PX-716A DVD±R/RW CD-R/RW 6x DL DVD burner
Power Supply: Antec Phantom 500

Cooling
Swiftech Storm CPU Waterblock
Danger Den Acetal MAZE4 GPU
Danger Den MAZE4 Chipset Block
CoolingWorks CoolRad Radiator w/ Shroud
Laing D5 pump

Thermaltake HardCano 13

Folding@Home Stats (These will look better soon.)

I did the whole Get a Scsi mobo, and a cheetah 15krpm 36 gig drive recently.. on some games in contrast to my raptor drive it added load time.. not much but a little.. So i turned around and ebayed it all after about 2 weeks of trying to find optimum settings. On video programs no doubt it was better.. but for BF2 and CSS it added 3 seconds of load time for BF2 and about a 1 second in CSS.. NOT WORTH IT
i got most of my money back and it was worth it for the 30 dolla experiment.

Back